News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DM&IR 2-10-2

Started by full maxx, December 09, 2010, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

My little engineers new steamie came today ( thanks favorite spot ) I'm not sure if there is a problem or not...it kinda scrapes goin thru turns and has a tick while moving...does it just need to be ran a little to loosen up or is there a problem and it seems a lot slower than the other steamies that we have
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Nigel

The 2-10-2 (USRA Light, 57" drivers) should be a lot slower than say a 4-8-2 (69") drivers.  A 2-10-2 also likes larger radius curves than locomotives with fewer drivers.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Doneldon

Nigel-

The wheelbases on a 57" 10-coupled locomotive and a 69" four-coupled locomotive are very similar, assuming the wheels are actually scale.  Also, one frequently finds a blind driver or (less often) two on locos with more than three drive wheels.
                                                                                                                                               -- D

jonathan

FM,

Does the tick go faster and slower with the speed of the locomotive?

I had a 'tick' in one of my Connies, which turned out to be a frayed drive belt.

Try getting your ear real close and listen while the loco passes by.  Does it come from the exterior or interior of the loco?

Another cause of ticking could be a misaligned pick up brush. 

A third option:  The new packaging for these locos is not as protective as it once was.  There is the possibility that one of the valve gear parts has become slightly bent in shipping.

These are, of course, guesses.  However, all three have happended to me, and were all easily fixable without needing a return for repairs.

Regards,

Jonathan

bobwrgt

I had the same engine once and had to send it back to Bachmann. One of the drivers was sliding in and out as it went down the track slapping the rail. Sounded like i was tapping the rail .Tried everything i could and I could not fix it. It also slowed down in the curves. After two attempts Bachmann replaced it with a DCC heavy mountain. under warranty.
Since then I purchased another 2-10-2 in a different road mane and it runs perfect with no tapping and also makes 18in radius with no problem.
Watch the drivers close to see if they are oscillating in and out or if some of the linkage is hitting causing the tick.
I think one of the drivers was out of round or not pressed on the drive shaft square.
A soft tick in one direction could also be a bent electrical pickup on the back of the drivers.
Bob

full maxx

A little light oiling of the valve gears seems to have cured the tick... however the grinding in the curves still exist and I would really like to solve that problem , contact lube was no help...minimum suggested radius is 22" and that's what I'm running it on...on another note the sound works great but is a little loud...anyway to turn it down???
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

hawaiiho

Quote from: full maxx on December 10, 2010, 07:09:47 AM
A little light oiling of the valve gears seems to have cured the tick... however the grinding in the curves still exist and I would really like to solve that problem , contact lube was no help...minimum suggested radius is 22" and that's what I'm running it on...on another note the sound works great but is a little loud...anyway to turn it down???

I have three Bachmann 2-10-2 locomotives. The will run on the 22" circuits, but not well.

The do much better on my 26" track.

Will

WTierce1

Quote from: hawaiiho on December 10, 2010, 12:04:21 PM

I have three Bachmann 2-10-2 locomotives. The will run on the 22" circuits, but not well.

The do much better on my 26" track.

Will

Mine runs fine. That is the largest I have. I'm sorry but I think you may be mistaken.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

simkon

Quote from: wtierce on December 10, 2010, 05:29:10 PMMine runs fine. That is the largest I have. I'm sorry but I think you may be mistaken.
He was not mistaken, Bachmann 2-10-2s are not all alike, some will run better than others on tighter radius for whatever reason. Mine original one runs fine on 22" radius while the second one I bought does not like 22" radius, but runs fine on 24" radius.

full maxx

Quote from: Hunt on December 10, 2010, 01:30:01 PM
...on another note the sound works great but is a little loud...anyway to turn it down???
You have control, lower the Master Volume Control value

You can adjust sound volume while the locomotive is running. The Master Volume Control is CV 128 (factory default value 192,which is 75% of max volume value of 255). You can adjust the volume of specific sounds as well using other CVs.
I guess this is not possible with the ez command

Pacific Northern

Quote from: simkon on December 10, 2010, 06:03:48 PM
Quote from: wtierce on December 10, 2010, 05:29:10 PMMine runs fine. That is the largest I have. I'm sorry but I think you may be mistaken.
He was not mistaken, Bachmann 2-10-2s are not all alike, some will run better than others on tighter radius for whatever reason. Mine original one runs fine on 22" radius while the second one I bought does not like 22" radius, but runs fine on 24" radius.

I have a couple of the Spectrum 2-10-2's and they both run fine on my 18" test track, neither scrapes with the sharp radius. I have heard of some owners who have trouble with the 18", but never with the 22".
Pacific Northern

hawaiiho

[/quote]

Mine runs fine. That is the largest I have. I'm sorry but I think you may be mistaken.
[/quote]

You have me curious. If the largest radius you have is 22",  how do you know if they run better on 26" or not?

Will

Chuff n Puff

Noticed my recent 2-10-2 from the favspot(2wks ago) also has a tick, think its the front drive linkage bottoming out(not positive). Still breaking it in, it tends to slow down even on my sharpest mainline curve thats min 24.5" radius.

My older one (TFS also) doesnt slow on the 24s & will make it through a passing siding that has atlas snap & short peco turnouts as long as I keep speed down (below 70). 70 or higher greater chance of derail. No tick on that one.

Only 2-10-2 from my LHS lost a pin for linkage to one of the front drivers.
Does Bachman sell the pins & can one press them back in? (sorry to jack your thread)

WTierce1

Mine has a tick too but I think it may be the rods. It makes something like a chugging sound too although it has no sound.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: full maxx on December 10, 2010, 08:03:45 PM
Quote from: Hunt on December 10, 2010, 01:30:01 PM
...on another note the sound works great but is a little loud...anyway to turn it down???
You have control, lower the Master Volume Control value

You can adjust sound volume while the locomotive is running. The Master Volume Control is CV 128 (factory default value 192,which is 75% of max volume value of 255). You can adjust the volume of specific sounds as well using other CVs.
I guess this is not possible with the ez command

Decoder Pro to the rescue.
Possibly you can locate either a club or person nearby with Decoder Pro hooked up to their layout and with their help you can reset any CVs  you wish.
Rocky Lives