News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cylinder Assembly

Started by StanAmes, December 11, 2010, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

How do you remove the cylinder assembly from the side of a 2 truck shay.

Stan

laxrebel

I assume you have problems, are doing a bash, installing a sound system without the chuff clickers making noise or possibly just want much pain. I think the answer may be buried in this document. http://www.wiringfordcc.com/bgshay_old.htm   :)

Mike M

If you look close you will see two screws that hold the part on remove the screws and lift out
Mike

Jon D. Miller

In addition to the two screws there are two "lugs" that hold the cylinder assembly in place.

Turn the locomotive over.  Remove the screws that attach the ash pan.  There is a PCB that has the LEDs for ash pan flicker.  Move it aside.  Look along the inside of the fire box in the area next to the cylinders.

You will see two "lugs" for want of a better word.  These lugs fit through what I call key holes.  Turn the lugs to line up with the key holes.  Then the cylinder assembly can be removed.  If these additional "lugs" are not aligned where they go through the fire box side the cylinders can not be removed.

As an example. Check page 20 of the Pardee & Curtin Lbr. Co. Operator's Manual.  Page 20 is titled "Chassis and Superstructure."  While difficult to see, you will see the two lugs, their screws, and the "key holes" depicted in this diagram.  You can find this same representation in the other Operator's Manuals for the various Shay locomotives.

One of the "Enthusiastic" Children

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Mike M

In all the shays i worked on all I had to do is gently lift a little up on the cylinders and they pop off after I removed the screws
Mike