For the Record, Found Solution to My Decapod Problem

Started by Thomas1911, December 21, 2010, 12:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas1911

Several months ago I posted about a problem I was having with my decapod climbing grades, seeming as though it was underpowered.  Well, I found what was causing the problem.  It will climb my 4%+ curved grades pulling quite a few cars quite easily now.  Thought I'd share my findings.

Original post:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13693.0.html

The problem ended up being the Motor Control Intensity CV (CV 212) being set to 128 instead of the factory setting of 255.  Why it was set this way out of the box I have no idea.  Since I began using the Decoderpro software, it has not only made it easy to change CV's, but easy to compare with other models.  I was able to compare CV's with several of my other locos, finding what CV's were different, logically eliminate ones that were not related to the problem, and then change and test the incorrectly set CV's.  While the original settings made for more prototypical operation by having to advance the throttle to negotiate the grade, it was something I didn't care for when trying to operate more than one train from one throttle, operate ground throws and whatever else, making for a few hairy situations.