News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New trucks for tender????

Started by Robert1441, December 27, 2010, 06:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert1441

I was given a brand new, USRA 0-6-0 w/sloped tender, from Santa. Straight DC. The trucks and wheels on the tender are plastic, and it dose not run well on my layout. I have added a little weigh, and still have this problem. Everything else runs great. I want to change the trucks and wheels,(metal) but being very new to this hobby, I do not know what to buy. Could you please recommend a set I could order, with the same couplers. Or do I just need to change the wheels to metal ones? If so, what brand and size?

Thank you;

Robert

ACY

What exactly is the problem, you said it does not run well, why do you think that...is anything happening to cause this that you can see...is it derailing?

abcunningham

I have the same problem. Engine stalls when it comes to a switch. It does not derail. I think adding extra pick-up on the tender would help but am not sure how to go about it.

richg

Quote from: abcunningham on December 29, 2010, 12:56:39 PM
I have the same problem. Engine stalls when it comes to a switch. It does not derail. I think adding extra pick-up on the tender would help but am not sure how to go about it.

Harold M has a nice idea he uses but his site has gone away again. A link he posted here about three months ago for this issue is gone again. Harold does this every so often to keep us guessing.
Anyway, all metal wheels on the truck, cut Kadee #5 coupler springs in half and attach to the plastic trucks with 00-90 screws.
Solder #30 wire to the springs.
Drill a small hole up through the tender frame just larger enough for the wire.

The below photo is what I did with a 0-6-0 and Vanderbilt tender.

Below is a Spectrum truck and you can see what I did on one side.

I have the pictures of all his install but they belong to him so I cannot post them here.

I will attempt during the next few days to make up a little tutorial of what I do and keep the photos at Photo Bucket.
Someone may have a link to this issue as someone else has done almost the same thing. There are at least two different ways to do this with the coupler spring from a Kadee #5 coupler. The springs can be bought separately.
This question pops up here about a couple times a year.

Rich

jonathan

I've done the same thing.  It really helps--a little bit delicate to work, but once it's in, works great:

You'll need 33" metal wheels and some kadee centering springs, oh, and some tiny screws, plus tools.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Very good Jonathan.
I drill and tap the plastic truck for 00-90 screws. 0-80 would work also.
I use pan head screws to attach the wipers. I use a pin vise and a #60 to 80 drill set.
#61 tap drill and #55 clearance drill.
For 0-80 screws, #55 tap drill, #52 clearance drill.

You can buy the tap set without the die.
You can use tiny sheet metal screws but drill a pilot hole to keep the plastic truck from splitting.

http://www.micromark.com/TAP-00-90,6510.html

Rich