Confusion and questions on DCC-Ready/Equipped HO locos

Started by rs, December 27, 2010, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs

Hello all,

We have an old HO-scale DC layout from the 1970's with a Tyco 4-6-2 steam loco.  I recently replaced all the old brass track and bought some new accessories.  The Tyco loco is in need of repair so my son and I have been looking at some of the Bachmann steam locos for a replacement.  We also want to eventually convert our DC setup to DCC, but that won't be happening for a while.

My question is about the DC-compatibility of the various DCC-Equipped Bachmann locos.  I've read up on various DCC tutorials and now know the difference between DCC-Ready and DCC-Equipped.  What we're looking for is a loco with sound that will work on a DC setup.  It looks like we'd have to get a DCC-Equipped loco with sound (DCC Sound-Equipped loco or DCC Sound On Board loco, not sure what the difference is between the two), and hope it works on DC.  Bachmann's own descriptions of its DCC locos w/sound rarely mention if they'll work on DC setups, but other online retailers sometimes list the same Bachmann locos as working with DC setups out-of-the-box.

Do all Bachmann DCC-Equipped HO locos feature dual-mode decoders that will allow them to work on DC setups?  Do all Bachmann DCC-Sound-Equipped or Sound On Board HO locos feature dual-mode decoders (and will the sound work on DC setups)?  If the answer to either question is "no", is there a definitive source somewhere which spells out which will work on DC and which won't?

Thanks so much - this forum is a great resource and we look forward to being a part of it!

richg

Some here have mentioned that the locos, sound and non-sound have dual mode decoders.
If you want sound, go to Micro Mark and get the ones that are usually advertised as with Tsunami sound. Quite often a better price.

http://www.micromark.com/Trains-and-Accessories.html

If you buy a Bachmann with sound from a private seller, the loco may not work as some people disable that feature if they use a DCC controller.

Remember, you will have to turn up the DC power pack higher than when running a DC loco. That is the nature of the beast with DCC. The logic circuits on the decoder run at minimum of five volts DC and it takes a little more to get the motor armature to break loose and start turning.

Older locos can be an issue for various reasons. Ask here on an individual basis for each loco. Many times, not plug and play.

There are documents here and at the SoundTraxx site for the BACMANN sound decoders. The sound decoders you buy from SoundTraxx are different than the factory equipped and you cannot buy those Bachmann sound decoders separately.

Rich

ACY

All Bachmann DCC locos have dual mode decoders, but if they had a previous owner, he may have set it to only run on DCC. If you buy a factory new Bachmann DCC Sound loco, it will be set to run on DC & DCC, but will only have very limited sound abilities compared to if it were operated with a DCC system. Get an E-Z Command starter system to get your feet wet and it will allow you to access 8 sound effects and control multiple locos simultaeously.

richg

Quote from: ACY on December 27, 2010, 05:52:41 PM
All Bachmann DCC locos have dual mode decoders, but if they had a previous owner, he may have set it to only run on DCC. If you buy a factory new Bachmann DCC Sound loco, it will be set to run on DC & DCC, but will only have very limited sound abilities compared to if it were operated with a DCC system. Get an E-Z Command starter system to get your feet wet and it will allow you to access 8 sound effects and control multiple locos simultaeously.

If you know how to buy with ebay, the EZ Command is usually available for under $100.00.
Never can tell what you might find with a Google search.
One on line supplier use to have the EZ Command new for about $70 but they sold out  a few months ago and will not restock.

Rich