Amtrak E60CP Passenger Car Recommendations

Started by atari, January 04, 2011, 09:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atari

My son really loves the Bachmann E60CP but too many have said that we beed 22" track for the matching amfleet cars and I don't want to take that route.

Sadly all of the passenger cars I've seen appear to be oversized and need 22". So, can anyone recommend some nice passenger cars that match the E60CP?

If not, what are some nice passenger sets that are also DCC?
We already have a GP40 and an FT-A so he is looking for something different.

Thanks.

lvrr325

Athearn's streamline passenger cars, if you can find them (and they made tons, I can hardly give them away at shows), would look fine and will operate on 18" curves. 

atari

Quote from: lvrr325 on January 06, 2011, 06:11:49 AM
Athearn's streamline passenger cars, if you can find them (and they made tons, I can hardly give them away at shows), would look fine and will operate on 18" curves. 
Thanks for the tip. This, however, begs the question: what is it about the Athearns that people don't like?

Doneldon

atari-

The Athearn cars aren't undesirable; it's just that there are so many around that the supply exceeds the demand. This is good if you are in the market. I would, however, replace the trucks if they Athearn have the older plastic side frames and plastic wheels, just as I'd replace any such trucks on any car from any manufacturer.

-- D

mlrr

Quote from: atari on January 06, 2011, 07:40:03 AM
Quote from: lvrr325 on January 06, 2011, 06:11:49 AM
Thanks for the tip. This, however, begs the question: what is it about the Athearns that people don't like?

The other thing is that modelers who are more particular about accuracy will bash Athearn's Amtrak rollinstock as it isn't really anything close to what Amtrak has on the road (especially today).

If you can get a hold of Bachmann's original Amfleet cars, those will handle curves with tight radii.  I started off with Bachmann's E60CP (original pancake motor version) and Amfleets (origninal).  The amfleets were very durable and forgiving on rough track especially when the radius was less than 22".
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com