News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Availability of 18-20 gauge wire

Started by SteamGene, June 14, 2007, 08:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Where can I find 18-20 gauge wie, suitable for track leads in quantity at a decent price?  I know I can buy that gauge at Radio Shack and in hobby shops, but it seems rather expensive that way.  The local Lowe's doesn't have it.  Home Depot does, but for some reason, even in bulk, the small wire is twice as expensive as thicker wire. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Orsonroy

Digikey sells lots of wire.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=88307&Row=496504&Site=US
$19 for 100 feet isn't bad.

Mouser has wire too, but they're more expensive:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=3053_BK005virtualkey60200000virtualkey602-3053-100-02
$26 for 100 feet

Whatever you do, don't bother with chain stores. Radio Slack sucks for anything but R/C cars and phones, and HD and Lowe's only cater to contractors and homeowners (which is why the 20 AWG wire there is so expensive; there's no demand for it).
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

SteamGene

Thanks.  I see one must register to order from Digikey.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

BillD53A

McMaster-Carr is another online source of all kinds of stuff.  I buy nuts and bolts from them.

SteamGene

I had to go to my LHS this morning and I checked prices.  I found Atlas 20 gauge wire for $6.95 for 50 feet, or 14 cents a foot. Bought it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jim Banner

If we are talking about 2 foot or shorter risers from a power bus to the track, #24 wire is fine for DCC as long as you do not bury it in foam scenery.  Multiple risers along with the conductance of the rails means no one riser is carrying all the current.  Best of all, #24 is dirt cheap or often free if salvaged from old parallel printer cables.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ebtnut

You can also check with your local electrical supply house.  They handle small gauge wire for items like doorbells and home security systems.  Something else they often have are "suitcase" connectors.  These are mechanical connectors that provide wire junctions without stripping or solder.  They are designed to connect heavy buss wire to lighter wire connections.  You still have to solder the riser wire to the rail, but that's generally easier than all the futzing around under the benchwork.

SteamGene

Electrical supply around here will sell at 500 feet or mroe.  I am going to use the suircase connectors.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
Just for your own info, you can go to your local electrical supply house and buy whatever you like there-your money is as green as mine.  You will also get a little better deal through a supply house.  I use a lot of 18-stranded as I like it.  You can also get smaller gauge there, especially in light of the home automation thing that is a growing segment of that business.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
I'd like to agree with you.  But that's what I was told - 500 feet or more.  And you know how many Virginians it takes to change a lightbulb, right?  None.  Change?  In Virginia?  Lord, I went to the oldest university in the country and we still call it a college!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Mike

Gene- At the Virginia university I attended, we used to say, "Welcome to xxxxx, one hundred years of tradition unmarred by progress."- MS

Bojangle

Gene: I get my wire in small spools from NAPA automotive store.  Good quality, without having to buy a lot.  18 ga "zip cord" and "bell" wire from most hardware stores.  My telephone service guy gave me a large coil of 4 conductor 4 color wire when we wired the house.
Bo

SteamGene

Mike, was that The University?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Here in Altoona, PA we have an automotive supply house, named "Fender Mender" that supplies primarily to the auto and auto enthusiast industries. They have lots of neat tools, auto paints, accessories, air brush accessories, etc.  There must be similar businesses in other areas. Ours is privately owned and do not have a website that I could find. However, I would suggest you try to find a place like that which would have all kinds of wires, etc. 

Another thought would be an installer of stereo systems in automobiles, esp for  you lads who are in the boonies.

I really liked Jim's ideas about using recycled cables.  Mother of invention type stuff, don't you think?

Best Wishes,

Jack