Getting ready to add soundtraxx tsunami to 4-6-0, have questions.

Started by bigblock454, January 28, 2011, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblock454

Greetings.
   Waiting for my order from Litchfield (should be here today). As I stated, getting ready to install new decoder. She originally had the bachmann/tsunami decoder, but I transplanted all that into the 4-4-0 (Wow what a difference that made). I'm guessing, but checking, that the new decoder is "stand alone" and I wont be needing any of the circuitry that came with the loco? Maybe the 8 pin connector? My first new install here, as the 4-4-0 swap was just that (a swap), only had to solder wheel pick-up wires. Guess I should also go back into the 4-4-0 to retrieve that "nifty" back headlight harness (does somebody sell that). I'm all "ears" if someone can give me any new ideas or hints, please do. Anybody putting these decoders in the loco?? It's the TSU-1000, so it's probably going to be too big. Also doing exhaust cam, and found some nice "how to" info from different forums and clinics online. As soon as any of this happens, I'll post a follow-up. Thanks to all.

Norm

NarrowMinded

The Tsunami comes with very easy to follow instructions, be sure to follow them, there is a chart that will show you where to check the existing 8 pin socket to make sure your loco is wired right for the Tsunami. if it all checks out with your meter simply look at the numbers at the corners of the socket and plug in your decoder the correct way.
Your decoder will also be set for autochuff from the factory so you will need to change the cv setting after you install the cam assy.

The tsu1000 is not all that big and should fit in your tender easily. I have a  0-4-0 porter that I made a tender for to hold the tsu1000 and a small speaker. it was a pain getting the 6 wires in the little porter so the chuff sensor is out on the loco but I have been kicking around the idea of adding them to the tender axle, this way I can set up the decoder so when it senses the load going upand down hills the sound will change.

NM