News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-10-2 Dcc Problem

Started by ChrisWaring, February 08, 2011, 02:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisWaring

Hi
Yesterday i received from Wholesale Trains a Spectrum USRA 2-10-2 undecorated with Dcc and sound.

Out of the box plugged tender in and plenty of sound but locomotive does not move in any direction. when the controller is advanced the chuffing sounds start but no motion. All functions are working whistle, bell ect. I unplugged it a few times and plugged it back in whilst trying to figure out what was wrong but nothing, plenty of sound but no movement. Today the symptom has changed. now when I switch the controller on i get a warning flashing OFF like when a short occurs. after looking round for a short i pressed the reset button and the rear light started flashing but no sound. whilst lifting the tender the sound suddenly started so i put it back on the rails,all sound functions were fine but still no movement. every time I switch power to the controller off it shows the same fault until the tender is tipped side to side then sound only.

Any ideas what is going on?

I don't want to have to delve inside to much as i don't want to void the warranty

As this is an international on line purchase if I have to return it to Wholesale trains in the USA from the UK will I be expected to pay postage both ways?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.
Chris Waring

ChrisWaring

Hi the controller is fine with other spectrum locomotives, I can drive another locomotives up to the dead 2-10-2.

The tender wheels are oriented correctly. The symptom of nothing but flashing light, slight shake then all noise functions, is still there with the tender by its self. With nothing being moved all noise functions working switching the controller off then back on results in controller short circuit signal. Cancel this and its back to the flashing back light.
Chris Waring

ChrisWaring

Hi Hunt

I think you are right and i need to update my DCC controller. would the NCE Powercab fit the bill?

Second the rear light flashes 11 times indicating a motor feed short so i will look into it when i get the chance. Thanks for pointing me towards the manual and troubleshooting.

Chris.
Chris Waring

ChrisWaring

Wholesale trains say its nothing to do with them as its an international order. I have filled in the Bachmann service form to see if they can help and await their reply.

Chris.
Chris Waring

ChrisWaring

Hi all

Got a replacement locomotive direct from Bachmann today, its working fine.

Just wanted to let people know that Bachmann replaced the loco without quibble and posted it back to me free. So all it cost was postage one way. Well done Bachmann and thanks from one happy owner.

Thanks again.

chris.
Chris Waring

timhar47

Hello Chris, Just saw this post in my search - I had just bought the last 2-10-2 that my mailorder place had (after sending them back a 2-10-2 dcc only that wobbled) I upgraded the replacement to sound, and undec - the sound was great, but the engine stopped every time the front tender truck hit a dead switch frog - no pickup coming from the engine apparently. After trying to unplug/plug the engine, now I have the 11 flashes of the headlamp, and off/on forward motion. Man I like this engine - i hope bachmann takes care of it, cause the store had no more. The sound on this thing is totally awesome! i emailed them yesterday!

ChrisWaring

Hi Timhar47
I got mine back from Bachmann after about two weeks and it runs perfectly now. Well done Bachmann.
Chris
Chris Waring

timhar47

Hey Chris,
Forgot to ask - did they send you replacement first, or did you have to send yours in to them?

Tim

ChrisWaring

Tim.
I had to send the locomotive in first so that Bachmann could test it. Contact the tech department on this site and they will tell you how to send it in.

Chris.
Chris Waring

ACY

Send in your locomotive with the warranty card and receipt of purchase, also call them before sending it in to get everything squared away and to make sure there won't be any issues. This is assuming your dealer is a licensed Bachmann dealer, if not you will need to send in $25 with the loco, so this is another reason why you should call Bachamnn before sending it in.
Corrected value.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ACY on April 14, 2011, 01:51:15 AM
Send in your locomotive with the warranty card and receipt of purchase, also call them before sending it in to get everything squared away and to make sure there won't be any issues. This is assuming your dealer is a licensed Bachmann dealer, if not you will need to send in $40 with the loco, so this is another reason why you should call Bachamnn before sending it in.

When did the cost increase to $40.00
Pacific Northern

timhar47

Someone has different info - this below is a quote from an email from Bachmann yesterday
"To return your loco ( tender) in for repair send to Bachmann Inds. 1400 E. Erie Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19124. If your loco is under 1yr. please send a copy of your receipt. if you do not have your receipt, if it is older than a year, or misused or abused, please send the following service fee:

$15.00 all standard non DCC locos with the exception of large scale

$25.00 standard DCC and Spectrum N and HO

$30.00 Williams, ON30 and Standard Large Scale

$50.00 Spectrum Large Scale

Please include complete address and phone number. Parts and accessories are only covered for 90 days. Additional cost may apply."

So Its still $25 - maybe the 40 was from the UK?   Tim

ACY

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 15, 2011, 04:13:24 PM
When did the cost increase to $40.00
It didn't, it isn't the UK cost either, I just made an error when I was typing somehow I guess. It is indeed $25. My apologies for the confusion. I need to review my posts better in the future.

ChrisWaring

All mine cost was postage from UK to Bachmann. It was then repaired/replaced and returned to me, postage paid by Bachmann. Just contact the parts/service department follow the instructions for sending it and two weeks later it comes back all fixed. Only cost postage to Bachmann.
Chris.
Chris Waring

ACY

If the mail order place he bought the loco from is not an authorized dealer then he has to pay $25 as only locos bought from an authorized dealer with receipt and bought within one year and not abused are covered.