News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC & sound locos in N-scale

Started by index2020, February 16, 2011, 05:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index2020

Hi,

I am looking to make the switch from HO scale to N scale. I have been looking for SD70ACe locos with DCC and sound N-scale. In fact I don't seem to be able to find too many N-scale loco options with sound... What am I missing?

Cheers,

skipgear

If you want sound in N, for the most part you have to do it yourself. There are a couple available with sound already though.

Athearn - F45/FP45, 4-6-6-4 Challenger, 4-8-8-4 Big Boy
Precision Craft / Broadway Limited - E7, E8/9, PA
Walthers / Lifelike - 2-8-8-2 N&W Y-3

MRC makes sound decoder boards that are drop ins for most Kato locos and some Atlas. Digitrax is starting to offer drop in boards, mainly for Kato loco's now but they are adding more slowly. Beyond that, you have to do it yourself. The ACE you are after has a board available from both MRC and Digitrax if I remember correctly.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

index2020

Quote from: skipgear on February 16, 2011, 06:03:38 PM
If you want sound in N, for the most part you have to do it yourself. There are a couple available with sound already though.

I'm still relatively new here... what do you mean by "do it yourself"?

ACY

If the locomotive does not already have DCC then the next step is to check and see if there are any drop in replacements. Some locos will have one some won't, if yours doesn't then you will need to hard-wire a decoder in the locomotive, some locos will have soldier pads, but some won't, if yours doesn't you will have to determine for yourself how to wire the decoder appropriately.

skipgear

Quote from: index2020 on February 16, 2011, 06:33:02 PM
Quote from: skipgear on February 16, 2011, 06:03:38 PM

I'm still relatively new here... what do you mean by "do it yourself"?

Do it yourself as in, you need to add the sound to the loco. The loco's that have drop in boards available may require minimal modifications. Beyond that, it will be hard wire a decoder and make it fit yourself. For modern loco's a drop in is really about the only option. There really isn't room for anything that wasn't made to fit.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950