EZ Track #4 Switch - help with specs-diverging angle

Started by timhar47, February 19, 2011, 01:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Hello,

I am looking for information for the new #4 switches - RR-Track has yet to incorporate them into their software, so no help there. I just bought 2, and there is no info on or in the package about this muchly needed information.
What is the turnout degree angle?
I do hope that there exists a curved piece in EZ track world that will bring the diverge route back to parallel again. (Atlas has never ever come up with a piece of curve to match up with their #4 switch which is 12.5 degrees)
Thanks - Tim

Len

You answered your own question. If the Atlas #4 has an angle of 12.5deg then so will Bachmann's, or anyone elses, if it's actually a #4. The number of a numbered switch is based on a ratio, similar to rise to run in construction, and as long as the ratio is maintained the diverging angle will always be the same.

Over simplifying just a bit, if the rails forming the switch point are 1in apart 4in from the point it's a #4 switch. If they are 1in apart 6in from the point it's a #6 switch, and so on.

I normally cut down a 22in radius curve to get back parallel with numbered switches. In RR-Track select a 22in radius curve, then use the "Cut Curve" function at the bottom of the 'Curve' menu to chop it down. Just set the arc to match the switch angle, 12.5deg for the #4, and click OK and place the resulting track section as you would normally.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

it is a common misconception that an atlas #4 is a #$. it is actually a #4.5.....the difference in angle between a true 4 and an atlas 4 should be less than a degree, with a true 4 having a slightly larger angle. with atlas track, though there was no direct companion curve for the #4, either a 1/3  or 1/2 18" curve is close enough to work. assuming that the ez track 4 is a true 4, bachmann has an 11.25 degree curve which should be close enough to work with the #4, or a 15 degree section of any radius should also work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear Tim,

Anyrail.com (free layout CAD program for the first 50 track pieces) says 14.04 degrees, which is close to a # 4.1

With a little manipulating, you can find the other dimensions.  It's fun and easy to learn.   

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

timhar47

Okay - I went back to the new layout IP, and put the pair of #4 in place, fudged the track to reconnect the main line (used some small pieces, left a 1/8" gap) then took the 2 pieces of 33.3R 12 degree - ahh-well first you have to saw off an angle cut from the 2.25 straight, in order to connect it to the diverge, then connected the 12 degree curves, some straights, along with another fudged in connection (i was out of 4.5,3.0 sizes, this siding leaving a pair of 1/8" gaps(made nice clickety-clack tho) and found the 12 degree curves are close enough to work, the MTH F3 w/sound traversed through fine, with 5 cars behind, and all is well. Now gotta get more short track to fix up all the 1,1.25,1.5, & 2" pieces shoved together :)

Thanks for the input!