News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 Crossover wiring/short help!

Started by BNSF2258, February 23, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNSF2258

Hey guys, I've got a real simple layout of 6' x 4', no DCC or anything fancy like that and I just got a #6 LH crossover (PN# 44575) for my outer line.

When I hook it up to the track (frogs not powered) the locomotive works just fine on both inside and outside tracks, but suddenly stops when it reaches ONLY the inside unpowered frog.

So I hook up the black power wire to the inside frog that the loco stops at, and the inside track doesnt get any power when the switch is open.

So then I hook up both power wires to power BOTH frogs.  Now neither inside or outside tracks work as long as any switches are open.

THE BASICS:
When no frogs are not powered, the locomotive short circuts at the inside frog.
When the inside or outside frog is powered, the inside or outside (respectfully) track won't get power if it's respectful switch is open.

Thanks alot!  Hope you guys han help!

ACY

I think the crossovers were intended for use with a DCC layout in mind, and need modification for use with DC.

BNSF2258

What kind of modification are we talking about?

ACY

I think you need to cut the rails where it crosses over to eliminate a short, but I am not 100% positive.

BNSF2258

Sounds pretty simple, but is there anybody who can confirm this for certain? I hate cutting up a $70 piece of track and being wrong

BNSF2258

I found this link which basically explains exactly what you said:

(scroll to bottom)
http://web.me.com/msibnsf/Acela_Express,_The_Need_For_Speed/Modeling_Techniques.html

Too bad the pictures cover much of the dialogue.  I'll try this as soon as I can get a hold of my dremel.

And my inquiry of a confirmation still stands, thanks!  ;)

Len

The #6 crossover should only need modifying if you're trying to run two locos on seperate loops, with seperate power packs, connected by the crossover. If you're only running one loco that moves between the loops connected by the crossovers no modification should be needed.

What it sounds like is the crossover is 'power routing', so you may need to feed power from you power pack to both loops from the point ends of the crossover switches. Just be sure to keep your polarities straight. Either that, or you've got a bad crossover.

If you are running seperate locos on isolated loops, then the crossover does need to be modified.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

the Bach-man

Dear BNSF,
David Harrison's Acela site is correct. It shows how to convert the DCC friendly crossover for analog operation.
Have fun!
the Bach-man