News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dropped skeleton car

Started by rrjTooele, March 06, 2011, 11:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrjTooele

I was setting up a simple loop of track for my 90-year-old Dad to run using a forney and some skeleton log cars and cupola-less caboose. My 21-year-old nephew in his zeal to help me unpacked the log cars and dropped one on the floor. Of course it's the more fragile part that broke - a coupler. How easy is it to replace the coupler and where can I get another?

Thank you.

ChrisS

It's about 2 minutes to change. Just that little Phillips screw under the coupler pocket, any hobby shop carrying bachmann parts or kadee couplers. Just a couple of dollars

Jim Banner

Your local hobby shop should have couplers.  If not E-Z Mate, then Kadee brand.  Take the car with you and the person at the hobby shop should be able to show you how.

When cars make a trip to the floor, it is often the coupler that breaks.  In a way, it is fortunate that the damage is to a widely available, easy to replace part rather than some special piece that is hard to find.  You may want to pick up a few extra couplers and a small Phillips screw driver while you are at it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tomcat

Hi there,

you can get a replacement coupler or go for a HO Kadee coupler.

You should be fine with a Kadee No.5 coupler- please look for the center shank couplers,
there are others which can improve the coupler height a bit, but you´re fine with the standard height.
They´re available in plastic or metal version. If you look for something more sturdy, go for the metal couplers... I do. Can recommend this.

Cheers, Tom ;)

ebtbob

The best advice given here is to take the car to your local store if possible because it is not a given that Kadee products will fit the Bachmann coupler boxes,  especially the KD 5 that requires the brass centering plate.   I have been able to convert some of my Bachmann On30 cars with KDs,  but my two bay hoppers will not take KD couplers without some bit of modifications to the coupler boxes.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

NarrowMinded

Check the couplers on the caboose they are likely the same as the Log cars if they are you can take one off the "rear" of the caboose for a temporary solution, that way you can run them all until you get the new coupler.

NM

rrjTooele

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I'll take it to the shop near my Dad's place next weekend when I visit my folks and see what they can do. This is a great community!