News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Russian 2-10-0 tender access

Started by Big Harry Diehl, March 17, 2011, 07:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Harry Diehl

I'm adding  -  or trying to add  -  a sound decoder to a Spectrum Russian 2-10-0.  OK, seems self explanatory  -  mark the truck frames and the tender underframe so I can get the pickups back correctly, then remove the truck screw.

Oops  -  it's a little machine screw, not a sheet metal screw threaded into plastic, meaning there's a bolt inside, and guess what:  there's nothing to restrain the bolt from spinning with the screw. 

OK  -  using a small screwdriver between the truck and bolster I was able to apply enough tension on the screw to finally get the nut off the front truck screw  -  I heard it drop and rattle around inside.  Now for the rear truck.  Uh oh.  No matter how much tension I apply, it just spins and spins and doesn't loosen any more.  I can't say how much the design sense applied to this impresses me.

Any suggestions?  I'm adding  -  or trying to add  -  a sound decoder to a Spectrum Russian 2-10-0.  OK, seems self explanatory  -  mark the truck frames and the tender underframe so I can get the pickups back correctly, then remove the truck screw.

Oops  -  it's a little machine screw, not a sheet metal screw threaded into plastic, meaning there's a bolt inside, and guess what:  there's nothing to restrain the bolt from spinning with the screw. 

OK  -  using a small screwdriver between the truck and bolster I was able to apply enough tension on the screw to finally get the nut off the front truck screw  -  I heard it drop and rattle around inside.  Now for the rear truck.  Uh oh.  No matter how much tension I apply, it just spins and spins and doesn't loosen any more.  I can't say how much the design sense applied to this impresses me.

Any suggestions? 

richg

By the way, you repeated yourself in the message. Once is enough.
You where not supposed to remove the truck screw.
There are a couple philips head screws usually under a wheel on the front truck. You might have to remove a wheel. Then you can lift the tender shell. You probably can see that in the paperwork that comes with the loco or here in the diagram page.
Look carefully.

Rich