Is there a new 4-4-0 in the Spectrum line? A Baldwin?

Started by joegideon, March 18, 2011, 04:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegideon

I saw the new ads for the Spectrum 4-4-0s.. 'No Big', I thought... Old nerws.  But then I saw "Baldwin" 4-4-0.  The 4-4-0 I was thinking of was a Richmond.  But the wheelbase looked like a Richmond.  Is this a new product?  Or a "Baldwin-ized" Richmond 4-4-0? 

Why is it that the last place to have any news on new Bachmann products is the Bachmann website?

Back when the 4-6-0s and 2-10-2s  were announced, but not out yet, I usede the 'Photos' to keep up on progress.  I can't find any mention of a "new" 4-4-0 in the Spectrum line.

How come?

TallTom

I share your frustration. I'm trying to find out what the difference is (other than price) between the old 4-4-0 #85101 and the NEW 4-4-0 #80126. You would think Bachmann would have some way of making this info available.

Bucksco

richg

Quote from: TallTom on March 24, 2011, 01:18:46 PM
I share your frustration. I'm trying to find out what the difference is (other than price) between the old 4-4-0 #85101 and the NEW 4-4-0 #80126. You would think Bachmann would have some way of making this info available.

The differences are very apparent to me. The lower price is the DCC ready or DCC on board.
The higher price is Tsunami sound on board.

The DCC on board shown in a link does not say Tsunami sound.
Any company selling their locos with Tsunami sound will say it in the ad from different company ads I have seen.
The Specctrums with Tsunami sound have been dsicussed quite a lot in the Bachmann forums.
I recently got a 4-6-0 with Tsunami sound and posted the photos here.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 24, 2011, 03:06:12 PM

The Baldwin 4-4-0s are listed in the product information section:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3517

THE ABOVE, NOT WITH TSUNAMI ON BOARD. THE PRICE SAYS IT IS THE TSUNAMI. I PICKED UP A dcc READY A COUPLE YEARS AGO FOR $95.00 AND THEY DROPPED FROM THAT PRICE FOR A WHILE.

BELOW ARE WITH THE TSUNAMI.

The exploded view drawings are available in the Parts and service section of the website:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC_with_sound-BODY.pdf
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC_with_sound-CHASSIS.pdf
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC_with_sound-tender.pdf

They were announced in our 2010 NMRA announcement sheet which was posted on the forum.

Hope this helps!

rICH

joegideon

My point was- is, when I saw the ad... and eventually noticed that it said 'Baldwin', I went to the logical spot for info about Bachmann products, specifically new Bachmann products: The Bachmann web site.  There was nothing.  Not a mention or even a hint, re.: this new 4-4-0.  It's not listed in the catalog or any ither place I could think of.  "We announced these in the 2010 NMRA New Products List " was the reply.  So I searched first
"2010 NMRA New Products".  It came back with "Do you mean NRA?"  Why, yes.  I'd like one with a 30.06.
     A week or so ago, I was curious as to when myAtlas GM&O RS1s were released.  The Atlass site steered me to, not only GM&O version info, but notes on every variation of every product Atlas has sold... for years!  When did Atlas RS1s get re-tooled with wire grabs?  It's all there.  This BLW 4-4-0 is an entirely new produnct, one that I assume Bachmann would like to sell.  Not too long ago, when the Richmond 4-4-0s and 2-10-2s were in development, "PHOTOS" had running updates of progress- pilot model, etc. -on an ongoing basis.
     so far, I have provided almost all the information on this new 'Baldwin 4-4-0'.S'all I have!

Pacific Northern

Both of the 4-4-0's are listed in the 2011 catalogue
Pacific Northern

Johnson Bar Jeff

Scored me one of the new Baldwins (unlettered) on eBay last night. I am VERY pleased and can't wait for it to arrive.  :)

richg

I have seen a similar issue with the old time Bachmann American 4-4-0. Almost all the photos I have seen do not show the drive shaft between the loco and tender since the motor is in the tender.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Well, my Baldwin has arrived. A beautiful little engine, and it runs beautifully, even on straight DC. I will probably use it for freight, while I use the Richmond, in its pin stripes, for passenger service.

Lord, those tiny little plugs and wires scare the heck out of me!  :D

Interesting to note that it came with a second set of domes, in an older style than those actually mounted on the engine. Also an extra pilot truck and an extra set of tender trucks.

I have only one issue with it: What to do about a bell. Then engine came with a bell included in the packaging, but not mounted on the boiler. The bell has a mounting lug, but there is no--what would you call it? mounting hole?--predrilled in the boiler to install it. Also, the only place where there is room for a bell on top of the boiler is between the steam dome and the cab, similar to where the bell is placed on the Richmond.

No way am I going at the boiler with a drill. Maybe what I'll do is not even use the bell that came with the engine. Maybe I'll just take a brass bell, file off the mounting lug, and glue it on the engine. I'll have to think about this for a while. One thing is for sure, though. I can't have an engine without a bell.

MP15AC

Johnson Bar Jeff,
Does the sound on your 85101 include Fireman Fred??

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: MP15AC on December 04, 2011, 04:37:24 PM
Johnson Bar Jeff,
Does the sound on your 85101 include Fireman Fred??

He he! The only "sound" on my Spectrum Baldwin--as with all my engines, for that matter--is inside my head. So it also includes Conductor Charlie and Brakeman Barney for the train.  ;D