News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Control

Started by John Honeck Sr, March 20, 2011, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

I am about to build a layout. I want to operated it as a DCC controlled layout. The equipment I have is all Bachmann. I was at a train show in Lacrosse today and talked to a club, which is run with DCC control. The member tells me That I should use "Digitrax" equipment, that it is the best and will allways work with old equipment as they upgrade their equipment. How do you all feal about this? I plan to have about 20-25 loco's which I would run at the most 4 at a time. I don't think that I need an costly system. Thoughts?

ACY

Everyone will have a different opinion on DCC systems. You should read up on all the systems availble and decide which one fits waht you want to do the best. But one factor would be what system your local club uses or what your friend or someone else nearby uses.

jward

look into the digitrax zephyr, an entry level system. i bought mine in 2004, and it is still going strong. there is an updated zephyr which can run 20 locomotives, msrp $225. my older version could only run 10...... you can often find these retailed for about $150 or so. they also have the added advantage of being able to use 2 dc power packs as extra throttles.

dcc is an investment. do some research, and make sure you don't buy a dead-end system.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

Digitrax equipment will allow you to do much more with your decoders than Bachmann's E-Z Command will allow.  So will Bachmann's Dynamis command control.  However, the more a system can do the more you have to learn in order to make it do it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

John-

As ACY said, you will accumulate a variety of opinions about which system is good, which is not, which has the most features, which is the most or least user friendly, and so on. Like all opinions, they are merely that. I suggest that you determine what you need/want from a DCC system and then explore which system or systems best meets your criteria. By all means use this Board for information about specifics but always remember that you are the expert on what system will work best for you.

In determining your needs, think about how many locos you'll want to run at one time, whether you'll be consisting locos often, rarely or not at all, whether you'll be running passenger lights from your track, whether you'll be running DCC turnouts from track power, whether you'll want to line series of turnouts or just single turnouts, whether you anticipate expansion in the future, whether you'll want wireless operation, whether infrared or radio will work best for your setup, and, of course, your budget. This will steer you to a (or more than one) unit with the power output, versatility, control and, ideally, price point you want.

Good luck with this process and with your layout. I look forward to more posts from you.

-- D

hawaiiho

Quote from: John Honeck Sr on March 20, 2011, 07:09:42 PM
I am about to build a layout. I want to operated it as a DCC controlled layout. The equipment I have is all Bachmann. I was at a train show in Lacrosse today and talked to a club, which is run with DCC control. The member tells me That I should use "Digitrax" equipment, that it is the best and will allways work with old equipment as they upgrade their equipment. How do you all feal about this? I plan to have about 20-25 loco's which I would run at the most 4 at a time. I don't think that I need an costly system. Thoughts?

If it were me, I would make the following list:

What I can spend.
What I need.

What I want

That is, the number of locos I plan to operate at a time, DDC switches, signals,etc.
programing ability.
Automation
Do I desire maximum flexability or simplicity of operation(very important)

Then obtain as much information as I can about as many DCC systems as I can.

DON"T rush into things. That is how mistakes are made. And correcting the mistakes can be expensive.

Will

John Honeck Sr

Thank You for the info. I have inventoried my Bachmann equipment. I have the following: 1-#44902 E-Z Command Control System, !-#36507 E-Z Command DYNAMIS Wireless Handset, 1- #44912 E-Z-Command 5 Amp Reverse Loop Module, and 1- #44910 E-Z Command 5 Amp Power Booster. As I said earlyer I plan to have at least 20 Loco's with me controlling 3 or 4 at a time. I do not plan to get any bigger in the future. Do I have enough equipment and/or would Digitrax equipment work better? I would attach my layout, that I laid out on RR-Track Software, but I do not know how to attach.
Thanks again for comments

ACY

Quote from: John Honeck Sr on March 23, 2011, 03:51:26 PM
Thank You for the info. I have inventoried my Bachmann equipment. I have the following: 1-#44902 E-Z Command Control System, !-#36507 E-Z Command DYNAMIS Wireless Handset, 1- #44912 E-Z-Command 5 Amp Reverse Loop Module, and 1- #44910 E-Z Command 5 Amp Power Booster. As I said earlyer I plan to have at least 20 Loco's with me controlling 3 or 4 at a time. I do not plan to get any bigger in the future.
I see an issue, item # 36507 requires the Dynamis wireless system, all you have is an extra handset, but no base system to use it with. You cannot use this with the E-Z Command system, the E-Z Command and Dynamis systems are not inter-compatible.

Jim Banner

Quote from: John Honeck Sr on March 20, 2011, 07:09:42 PM
... talked to a club, which is run with DCC control. The member tells me That I should use "Digitrax" equipment, that it is the best and will allways work with old equipment as they upgrade their equipment. How do you all feal about this?

I feel quite strongly about up-gradability.  I started off in DCC with an MRC Command 2000 which, like the E-Z Command, was a starter set of limited capabilities.  I was disappointed when they quit making it.  I was shocked when I sent my command station in for repair, only to be told they could not repair it.  The worst was that I was left with a drawer full of throttles, power supplies, connector cords etc. but I had no command station to use them with and they had no compatibility with MRC's new system.  This had a major impact of my decision to switch to Digitrax.  I started off with a Zephyr, upgraded to a Radio Super Chief and later added a Super Empire Builder as a booster.  Along the way, I added several more throttles, both radio and non-radio, a second radio receiver, a power manager, some auto reversers and a mess of interconnection cables and throttle stations.  The beauty of all this is that ALL the pieces work together.  I can connect them up is a variety to configurations depending on what I want to do.  And based on the company's past history, I can be confident that new pieces I buy tomorrow will work fine with everything I have today.  I have what is, for me, a large investment in command control equipment (and drive a 20 year old car because of it!)  The last thing I want is to have to replace it all because of lack of up-gradability.

Jim     
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

uncbob

I read several reviews on Digitrax and NCE entry level
I went with DCE Power CAB
I am more than satisfied 

jward

jim's experience is why i had said earlier to avoid a dead end system.

if i am not mistaken, autoreversers and decoders can be used with any system, as the NMRA sets common standards for these. throttles, handsets and boosters are proprietary to that particular system, and can't be used with other brands.

even if you don't intend on getting into dcc too deeply, a starter system that is a full featured command station like the nce power cab and the digitrax zephyr offer a couple of advantages.  first, you control what address your locomotives respond to. you are not restricted to using one or two digit addresses and trying to remember what address controls which locomotive. you can program the locomotive to respond to the number painted on its side. the second advantage is that you can control the top speed of each locomotive and set a benchmark standard so that all locomotives will run the same. when you need more than one locomotive on the train, you can be sure that whatever locomotives you choose to run together won't fight each other.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

John, I am new also to this and I went with all Bachmann and have no problems. Like you I plan on running 3 to 4 trains on my layout that is medium sized U-shaped 12 x 12 x 12  I don' plan on at this time running big expensive complex engines. I do recommend purchasing the 5 amp booster it does help. Like you I cannot figure out how to download my layout. I will tell you this board has some great people to help you out (Joe,Sid,Acey,etc). Haven't had to ask anyone yet because if you scroll thru and read other posts it usually answers your question before you post it. Thanks to all on this board for making HO as easy as possible. Jerry

Doneldon

John-

Your booster should work with your NCE Power Cab so you'll have plenty of power for several trains, on board passenger or caboose lights, DCC turnouts, etc. The only way you are likely to exceed your available power is if those three to four trains each have consisted locos and you have lots of sound decoders. In short, five amps is plenty for almost any home layout which isn't a giant. However, you might want to consider breaking your layout into power districts -- not hard to do -- so you'll be able to investigate and correct electrical problems more efficiently. You'll also probably need additional throttles which NCE makes in a couple of formats. I pronounce your choice a good one, for what little my opinion is worth.
                                                                                                                                      -- D

uncbob

Quote from: uncbob on March 23, 2011, 06:28:55 PM
I read several reviews on Digitrax and NCE entry level
I went with DCE Power CAB
I am more than satisfied 
I should add I have a 2 track oval and only run 2 trains at a time --one on each oval

santafe

I really like the NCE stuff.  The NCE Powercab, which is the NCE starter set, can run 3 locos at once, but they do make a 5 amp booster.  One of the upsides of it is that it has a handheld walkaround throttle.  It can also control all 28 functions.