News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track and Turnouts

Started by royalhaw, March 26, 2011, 12:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalhaw

After reading many posts I am getting the feeling that for the best operation you need to get one set and guage of track.  If you have Peco turnouts you should have Peco track and if it is Kato turnouts it should be Kato track.  Is this the best?  Additionally, I noted that Peco flex track in n Scale Code 80 is not being manufactured anymore.  Therefore I would have to go to all Code 55.  Will that cause any major problems?  Please give me advise!!!

skipgear

No, you don't always have to match brands of track, it is easier though. Many of the track brands are interchangeable with a little work. Any code 80 track should work with any other code 80 track, you just have to adjust for the roadbed height and deal with any propriatory connectors.

Atlas Snap Track, Kato Unitrak, Bachman EZ track and Peco code 80 tracks are all code 80 track and can be joined together with various modifications.

Atlas C55, Micro Engineering C55 can be joined together with no issues.

Peco C55 actually uses a C80 rail burried in the ties deeper so it can be made to work with either C80 or C55 track.

Atlas True track is it's own breed but can be adapted to either track system with some soldering and or filing of the joint.

It depends on how true to scale you want to be. The C55 track systems are the best looking but because of the closer to scale sizes, you must pay more attention wheel flanges and proper gauge.

C80 is the most robust and widely available. For someone who doesn't like to lay track, the Kato Unitrak is the best option as it is bullet proof and the turnouts work better than any others I have found out of the box.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

royalhaw

Thank you for the info, it was helpful :-*