News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout Wiring and Caboose Couplers

Started by bobrobin, April 15, 2011, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrobin

Hi,  I have read this forum for quite a while now and have really enjoyed it and obtained much valuable information.  However this is my first post, so I hope it comes out right.  I am new to N scale (I do have other scales) and have a couple of questions.  I am working on an N scale layout using Bachmann EZ track with 5 turnouts.  I am not using the power routing feature of the turnouts due to the fact that I have multiple power feeds where I need them.  So I decided to use the switch inside the turnout to power leds to show the direction position of the switch.  I removed the existing wiring to the switches in two of the turnouts  and wired them to power the leds but I quickly found out this would not work because the small screw that holds the brass switch in place screws into the frog thus shorting the switch to the frog and rails (it took me a while to figure this out).  My question is does anyone know of any way that I can change this so that I can use this feature of the turnouts like I planned?  Also, my caboose keeps derailing on the turnouts.  I noticed that it has body mounted couplers and all the other cars have truck mounted couplers. Is there a way to convert the caboose to truck mounted couplers like the other cars. Thanks for any help or info.

Albert in N

I had the same problem with Bachmann E-Z N scale turnouts.  The curve on the turnouts is simply too sharp.  On my layout, the body mounted coupler locomotive always derailed the following car when entering the turnout curve.  Yes, the locomotive and cars all had Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers.  One solution is to use an Athearn N freight car between the body mounted coupler locomotive and caboose.   The Athearn cars are weighted nicely and their McHenry couplers are long enough to smooth the curve.  Otherwise, the older Rapido (standard N ugly couplers) should work.  That worked for me until I traded off the Bachmann E-Z track for Kato UniTrack.  The cost difference was worth it for me and ended my turnout derailment problems.  If you trade in E-Z track, be aware it does not bring much.  If you don't mind insulated turnout frogs and track without built on roadbed, Atlas N track worked well for many years on my earlier layouts.  I have hope that Bachmann will soon come out with turnouts with at least a 19 inch radius turnout curve.  Right now, E-Z turnouts have 11 inch radius curves.  Atlas and Kato have 19 inch radius or more turnout curves.

Albert in N

Adding to my earlier post, Kato UniTrack turnouts have a selector option for power routing.  Atlas track has insulated frogs and both straight and curved directions from the turnout remain live.  That is why they make Atlas insulated rail joiners, wired track joiners, and track controllers of several choices for various layout options.  Otherwise, your E-Z track turnout modification matched my result.   If you purchased your E-Z track from a reputable hobby shop, they may have some valid suggestions.

On your caboose, you can remove the coupler and either file or Dremel tool away the coupler housing.  Then you can mount a body mounted truck with couplers (using a long shank coupler).  You may need to adjust truck height with Micro-Trains or other washers so the coupler mounted truck will swivel and ride level.  Another option is to purchase an Atlas or Athearn caboose with body mounted couplers.  Be aware that you will also derail cars attached to a body mounted coupler equipped locomotive using E-Z track single (non-wye) turnouts.