News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum 10 Wheeler

Started by nieljr, June 28, 2007, 01:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nieljr

Just purchased a new Spectrum 4-6-0 (Ma & Pa) w/DCC.  Great detail, runs smoothly and the motor appears to have adequate power.  I say appears, because on flat stretches it will pull as many cars as I choose.  However, it will not pull more than 3 32' freight cars on the grades without wheel slippage, and subsequent loss of traction.  My grades are all under 2 percent, with curves 22" radius.  I have two old Pocher 4-4-0 Americans which I have converted to DCC.  Both have vinyl driver tires on one side and will haul at least 8 - 10 cars up the grades.

The 10 wheeler does not have tires on the drivers, nor does it have any apparent way of installing them.  Any suggestions on how to improve traction on this loco, besides trying to add additional weight?

Thanks for your help.

BillD53A

First make sure the pilot truck wheels turn freely.  Same with the tender wheels.  Remove the pilot truck spring.  Make sure the drawbar is able to move freely both on the loco and the tender.  You might need to enlarge the hole slightly.  Make sure the wiring harness is not lifting the loco wheels off the rails.
On my layout, a single 4-6-0 will pull just 6 cars, but two locos can pull 35+ cars!

Atlantic Central

neiljr,

It is not practical to add traction tires, this would require machining the driver. Improving the rolling qualities of your rolling stock will provide easier and better results with less effort/expense.

Adding weight is not practical with this loco. I have had mine apart and there is not room for any signifcant additional weight.

Actually, BillD53A has good suggestions as well, the pilot truck spring is generally not needed and can lift weight off the drivers. Believe it or not, along with his suggestion about the drawbar, adding weight to the tender may help, it will improve tracking and help prevent the wiring harness from interfering with the loco tracking.

I use Kadee trucks with Intermountain wheelsets and have improved the pulling capacity of most locos by 40%. While I do not have any specific data on grades, my two ten wheelers will pull 17, 4.3 oz cars on level track, and that is with weighted Vanderbilt tenders in place of the originals.

Sheldon

brad

Pulling upgrade around a curve is the hardest thing a loco has to contend with. make sure all you rolling srock is free wheeling and the trucks swing propperly. Clean your track with a good cleaner. Mine will pull 7 40' cars up a 2% grade on a regular basis.
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

lanny

nieljr,

My apologies for suggesting something that has often been suggested. But it works.

To begin with, the reality is that you will probably not get your locomotive to haul more that 4-6 cars up grade around a curve with out adding significant weight to the boiler (which has already been noted by Sheldon as not an option on this locomotive)

But you can very possibly at least 'double' the amount of cars it will haul upgrade by 'reaming the tucks' with a Reboxx or Micro mark truck tuner (10 bucks each). Also add metal axle, metal wheels (I use Intermountain semi scale 33" or 36"). If 'reamed' properly and these wheel sets are used, you will definitely notice a difference in the hauling ablity of your locomotive.

Follow the suggestions already made as well as doing this to your trucks. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler