News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC power packs

Started by mrmtox, May 06, 2011, 08:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmtox

Am planning to run two trains on the same track (with passing siding); each train using dual locomotives. I assume I'll need more power than supplied by the little Bachmann unit that comes with the train sets. Suggestions for the best MRC unit to buy for this application?
Second question - how do the MRC packs connect into the Bachmann terminal rerailers? Are the plug jacks universal?  Thanks!

ACY

Quote from: mrmtox on May 06, 2011, 08:04:40 AM
Second question - how do the MRC packs connect into the Bachmann terminal rerailers?
They don't, you either need to soldier feeders to your track or splice the Bachmann feeder but then you won't be able to use your Bachmann controller.
Quote from: mrmtox on May 06, 2011, 08:04:40 AM
Are the plug jacks universal?  Thanks!
No each manufacturer is different.

mrmtox

Thanks - I was afraid those would be the answers!

dtpowell

It's not as big a problem as you might think. You can purchase rail joiners with wire leads already soldered on. All you'll need to do is replace two joiners with the new ones and connect them to the + and - terminals of the MRC Power Pack and you're ready to go.

ACY

Bachmann's rail joiners are pretty hard to get off though...  :D

mrmtox

I have looked exhaustively for Bachmann rail joiners and they seem to be nonexistent. Called Bachmann and they acted like they never existed for sale. I tried some generic joiners from several sources but none come close to fitting e-z track. Anyone have a source for ones that fit???

ACY

I can probably explain why you have not found rail joiners that fit, they were likely the wrong code.

mrmtox

ACY - I agree with you completly. Unfortunately , for a novice like me, I tend to believe what the reps at the various sources say. None has been right yet.

ACY

Usually on the package somewhere it says what code track the rail joiners are for.

mrmtox

That's fine - by the way - what "code" track is the Bachmann E-Z track?

skipgear

N scale EZ-track is code 80. Atlas C80 rail joiners will work just fine. As ACY mentioned, the stock railjoiners can be a struggle to get of as they are crimped to the rail. You usually detroy them when removing them. After that, the Atlas rail joiners work just fine though.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dtpowell

There is an easy way.  Sacrifice the plugs. Strip the insulation off. Connect to the screw terminals of the MRC power pack. Buy another Bachmann terminal later if you'd like to use the original power pack.
If you're planning sidings. You'll probably need addition terminals if you plan to isolate them.