News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Engine Short? If so, how to fix

Started by john.001, May 11, 2011, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

Steam Locomotive:  HO Bachmann 85104; Main Central #83 Spectrum® HO Scale Richmond Modern 4-4-0 Locomotive; DCC & sound installed.

Problem:  Intermittent operation - i.e., hesitated as if poor contact with track.  Note:  Diesel locomotives run without any hesitation.

Background:  I checked and some of the contacts touching the wheels on the trailing coal unit were not touching.  I lightly adjusted them to have them all make contact.  The engine now makes sound, but the Bachmann EZ Command Digital Command Control System DCC lights blink and the unit won't move.  I unplugged the EZ Command, let it sit, then replugged in the power, but it still blinks.  I can lift up the coal unit and the lights stop blinking, but when I lower it back down, the blinking starts up again.  It seems as if something is shorting out - though ALL I did was make certain the three little contacts on each of the four metal wheels touched.

Question:  Okay - what did I do wrong and more particularly, how do I fix it?

Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear Sheriff,
It sounds like a tender wheelset may have come out and been replaced backwards. Carefully examine the axles where they enter the wheel. The insulation should be on the same side on a single truck, and opposite the other truck.
Failing that, contact service.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

john.001

I didn't remove the wheel sets; only the wheels themselves.  Granted I didn't pay attention to which wheel went where or how.  Are you saying the metal weeks have an insulated side?  My eye sight isn't that good so perhaps I missed that.  If that's what you're saying, I'll look more closely and make certain the wheels all are uniform as to sides.

richg

Below is a PDF of the tender. Download it and expand it. You can see the insulators on the wheels. The paper work that came with your loco will show the same.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC-tender.pdf

Rich

john.001

Rich

You're the man.  That was the problem.  I should have, but didn't know one side of the wheel set was insulated.  I've realigned things and now the locomotive works fine.  Thank you.

Doneldon

Just for the record: wheelsets are the axle and two
wheel assemblies. The whole thing with two (or more)
wheelsets and the side structures which hold them
(sideframes) is a truck.
                                              -- D