BACHMANN HO TRAIN MORSE H16-44 LOCO B & O 64112 - Is this DCC ready?

Started by pacchardon, May 13, 2011, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacchardon

I am just getting started in this hobby. My son and I are going to build out first layout this summer. I acquired the above locomotive. I know it is not DCC equipped but is it DCC ready and how do I tell? Help, Please!

jonathan

Welcome Pacchardon!

I have two of these locos.  With a touch of tweaking they run and pull very well.

The Baby trainmaster is not DCC ready.  However, it is possible to install a decoder.  There is a link to an article on how it's done.  I will look for the link and get back to you, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

jward

the link jonathan has provided will not only work for the h16-44, but it will also work for any bachmann locomotive with a split frame, such as the gp30, gp35' sd45 or c40-8. also, any decoder with a warning harness can be substituted for the one jim banner used in the instructions.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pacchardon

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the supplied website. Since I am just getting into this I think this will go onto the back burner for a while. We will be busy enough getting our first layout done.
Thanks
Paul

Doneldon

paccy-

Welcome to this board and, especially, welcome to model railroading. While you will certainly appreciate the hobby for the opportunities it will provide for you to be with your son, I'm sure you'll also come to enjoy model railroading in its own right. There are so many different aspects of the hobby that it's hard not to stay interested.

I urge you to consider purchasing future locomotives with DCC already installed. You''ll find the cost isn't very different and you'll be able to spend your modeling time building kits or running trains with your son. (Installing DCC decoders isn't exactly a group activity.) On the other hand, installing your own will give you the opportunity to use decoders which best satisfy your needs and desires. Plus, stock decoders are typically fairly basic ones which may have some liabilities like poor slow speed operation or not very many speed step options. However, you can buy and use a DCC installed loco for a while as you learn the hobby and then very easily install a better one because everything you need for the task will be right there.
                                                                                                                                                 -- D