News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0, Walthers

Started by ejseider, June 06, 2011, 02:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've been looking for an 0-4-0 switch engine, and see what looks like a nice one with a sloped tender on Walthers internet site.  However, all they provide is a picture and a price, it also says that it is currently  ???out of stock, which I assume means that they will eventually get more in.  Can anyone tell me anything about these engines:  How reliable are they?  Is the body plastic or die cast or what?  How well do they perform?  Can they be converted to DCC at some time down the road (I assume that for the posted price they are not DCC ready)? How reliable is Walthers for ordering off of the internet, especially ordering an engine that is presently out of stock?, etc.

ACY

The one I think you are referring to is the Life-Like one, it is a poor candidate for DCC conversion (# 433-8343).
1. The loco will probably be restocked sometime in about 6 months before Christmas, it could be discontinued though, some of these Life-Like have been discontinued by Walthers which owns Life-Like.
2. Mine was not very reliable, but I got it on sale for $8
3. I think it is almost all plastic
4. They generally do not perform well, for $30 you can't expect too much
5. Theoretically it could be converted, but it would not improve the locomotive, would require the tender to be wired for pickup, it is a lot of work to do, and it is not even close to being worth it...
6. Walthers is pretty reliable,
the only issue is that a lot of items and this goes for most other places too, do not know when or if an item will be restocked, so you may have to wait months to get the item or you might get a refund because it got discontinued. Walthers is usually pretty expensive though, I look for other online dealers because they are usually cheaper.
In the end it is a decent loco if you can get it for $10-$20, otherwise I would not get it.

jward

spend a little extra and get a decent locomotive. there are some 0-6-0's out there which are good runners and not too expensive. bachmann is one of the manufacturers who make them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

ej-

I think ACY is correct with his surmise that the loco you're looking at if the Life Like 0-4-0. Trust me, you don't want it. Lousy detail. Unreliable. Weak. No where to put DCC. Just my opinions, of course, but I'll bet no one argues with me! Paint it all black, weather the devil out of it and put it on static display next to the largest depot on your pike. It won't be a nuisance there.

-- D

CNE Runner

Assuming your little 0-4-0 is Life Like (which it most probably is), I would look elsewhere. We sell these locomotives - when we get one - in the $8 to $10 range. My experience is that they are poor runners and are prone to erratic operation due to their limited electrical pick ups.

The prototype railroads used 0-4-0s in specialized service. They tended to be used as small industrial/dockside locomotives because of their limited tractive effort. A much better choice would be the 0-6-0...a locomotive in widespread use during the age of steam.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Joe323

I've been looking for an 0-4-0 switch engine, and see what looks like a nice one with a sloped tender on Walthers internet site.  However, all they provide is a picture and a price, it also says that it is currently  ???out of stock, which I assume means that they will eventually get more in.  Can anyone tell me anything about these engines:  How reliable are they?  Is the body plastic or die cast or what?  How well do they perform?  Can they be converted to DCC at some time down the road (I assume that for the posted price they are not DCC ready)? How reliable is Walthers for ordering off of the internet, especially ordering an engine that is presently out of stock?, etc.

First of all I have to agree with the other posters skip the life-like.  Their equipment is toy quality and is intended for the toy train market not MRRing.  I just ordered a slope Bachmann 0-6-0 (DCC On Board) for $59 from Modeltrainstuff.com which is generally cheaper than Walthers.  I'll post a review after I get it and break it in.  This seems more like the way to go IMHO.

jettrainfan

Doneldon, that's what my 4-4-0 is doing on the club layout right now! (Except I don't want to weather it right now sense its spectrum.) It looks pretty cool, but i'd rather buy a cheaper engine and leave it there for good than that. But till she gets the funding for maitnence, there she stays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ejseider

So it looks like I'll skip the 0-4-0.  In addition to the 0-6-0 it looks like Bachman also has a nice 4-4-0, but expensive.  What can you tell me about the 0-6-0 and the 4-4-0?  Reliability, features, etc that may not be mentioned in their catalog?  Is it better to buy direct from Bachman or can you get better deals from other dealers?

Doneldon

ej-

I'm happy with my Bachmann 4-4-0s and that seems to be the experience of others on this board and elsewhere. They pull okay, especially the small drivered models. The 0-6-0 is also a decent model but it lacks a working front coupler or an easy way to fit one. I'm not saying it cannot be done, just that it isn't easy. If you want to use the 0-6-0 as a switcher you must add a functional front coupler. By the way, the Bachmann 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 are all the same model so they present the same problem. Proto makes an excellent 0-6-0 but it is very pricey, more than twice the Bachmann 0-6-0.
                                                                                                                                                 -- D

ACY

You cannot purchase direct from Bachmann, I always buy from my Local Hobby Shop or the Favorite Spot on ebay.

Jerrys HO

I love my 0-6-0 which is now a 2-6-0 as I took the front trucks off of my dc 2-4-0 and also used #5 kaydee couplers and replaced the non moving coupler. this was very easily done.