News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track dimensions

Started by scheruis, June 07, 2011, 12:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scheruis

Hi,

I am a beginner railroad modeler. I have a very basic question.  When using 22'' curved tracks,  is the inner radius 22" or is it the outer radius that is 22"?

I am trying to layout my tracks on a 4' X 8' board. Should I use a 22" track or 18" track? I plan on doing some scenery so I am trying to estimate how room I will have to work with on either side of the outer edges.

Thanks for your help

- SC

jward

22' radius refers to the centerline of the track. 22r is designed to fit on a 4 foot wide table, though it is close to the edge. if that botthers you, you can add extensions to the table sides where the track comes close, with 1x3 or 1x4 limber.

as a general rule, it is best to go with as large a radius as possible. while 18" is useable (my layout is 18r) it does limit the types of locomotives you can run. i would strongly advise against using anything less than 18r.

that said, the use of both 22r and 18r will allow you to build more interesting track layouts, such as two track main, twice around, over and under, etc.

for scenery, my rule of thumb is to keep any rocks, trees, buildings or other scenery items 2" from the center of the track. this allows ample room for the trains to get past.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

QuoteShould I use a 22" track or 18" track?
You have enough room for 22 inch radius so, I would go that route, it allows you to run cars longer than 40 feet and steam locos with more than 6 drive wheels or with pony/trailing trucks and diesels with 5 axles or more (with 3 axle trucks). However 22" radius is still limiting, best case scenario use flex track and make it 26" to 30" radius and you can run almost anything.
Quote from: jward on June 07, 2011, 12:43:11 PM
for scenery, my rule of thumb is to keep any rocks, trees, buildings or other scenery items 2" from the center of the track. this allows ample room for the trains to get past.
If you have things like articulated auto carriers, and 90 foot cars, then you may want to allow a little extra room like 3 or 4", the articulated auto carriers have a lot of overhang.