News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tender for 4-8-4

Started by capt.jeff, June 27, 2011, 11:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.jeff

I have  ::) a 4-8-4 that requires a tender for power pick up from the tracks. It has a brass pin connector that transfers power from tender. I need to know what model tenders will make the loco move? all the ones I have looked at have a rectangular shape for the connector pin, this cant be right as the hoe is too big for constant contact. Help

skipgear

None currently available will work as a bolt on. That sound like a very old version of the 4-8-4. I think it was the second release that had half axle pickup on the loco and half axle pickup on the tender. If you don't mind running some wires, you can use the new one and hard wire it to the loco. Doing this would give you better pickup that the original because you can get all wheel pickup just from the tender.

If you can find one of the other versions of the 4-8-4 tender, you can make your own half axle pickup with some brass sheet or possibly find one of the Concor tenders that used half axle pickup.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

capt.jeff

Thanks skipgear,    the engine does have a pick up on the front truck and a brass strip lead the pin that conects the tender.

skipgear

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Albert in N

Thanks, Skipgear, for the Spookshow link!!!  I have had a blast reliving the history of my N scale experience.  (Go to Spookshow Home, then N scale.)  Later, I reviewed some of his comments on my current modest locomotive collection.  About the only exception to Spookshow's comments related to my Bachmann light mountain (4-8-2).  Actually, mine pulls ten cars easily around wide radius curves and has no traction tire issues.  N scale has come a long way in the last 40 years.