To the Bach-mann: please relay this to your product engineers!

Started by robderebel, July 18, 2011, 11:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robderebel

I don't understand why your company chose not to include flywheels on your latest diesels, (except for the 44 tonner which is too small and I understand that) the GP 7, RS 3 and any steamers you make should all have flywheels.  They are a necessity in N scale due to the lightness of the locomotives.  It allows the locomotive to coast over slight/minor electrical interuptions, (which are bound to happen even with the best pickup available) we are not talking huge flywheels, and are not looking for coasting effects, we are looking at smoothing out the motor pulses when the motor doesn't get consistant electrical pickup.   Please tell you engineers that including them is a requirement.   I myself will not ever purchase locomotives that are not equipped with them.

For an information point of view and a prototype speed afictionado one of the best (if not the best) locomotives in N scale ever made was made by your company.

Thats right, and that model was ER's Sharknose, it had quite a good gear reduction, large flywheels, and was (is) the smoothest models I own bar none.  Puts all the other models to shame in regards to scale speeds, switching speeds, and smooth gradual acceleration.

You would be well rewarded with sales if you would just mimic the design of this particular locomotive.  I have 12 of them.   With a dcc decoder the speed range is so right, so correct, I don't even have to mess with the speed tables *Unless the decoder is out to lunch)

Some folks think they are noisy, they are on pulse, they quiet down on smooth dc or dcc.   What that tells me is you would need to tighten the tolerances down somewhat, because whats making the noise is slight rattling of the drive train because the tolerances are a bit too loose.

At the production numbers you guys put out, flywheels shouldn't be excluded, and if you want to keep selling me locomotives and guys like me whom enjoy the best operation with a minimum of fuss. 

Flywheels:  please tell your engineers that they need to include them in all locomotives, not just the spectrum.   

Rob 40 years in model railroading most of which was in N scale.

Ken G Price

Rob, The lack of flywheels  ??? is also the reason I have not bought and Bachmann diesel engines.  :(
I agree that it does not make any sense to not include them. It can't add more then a dollar or two to the retail price.

Oh, well it's their company.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/