News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing the shell of EMD FT A-Unit

Started by MrSirMan, August 02, 2011, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSirMan

I've got a Denver Rio Grande EMD FT A-Unit and B-Unit - both DCC.  The A-unit has died for some reason and I was thinking that I'd just put the A-unit shell on the B-unit engine since I didnt really use the 2 units together much anyway.

How do you remove the shells?  And can this even be done?

Thanks in advance!

richg

Look at the diagrams that came with your set. The frames look like they are the same except the A unit has a headlight. I do not have these but you might have to remove the couplers and spread the shell slightly apart and slip the shell off the frame. Might have to use tooth picks between the frame and shell.
I just looked t the shells in the diagram page.
Get your multimeter out and check for continuity between the wheels and the motor contacts. Also check the resistance of the motor windings to see if the motor is burnt out which I doubt unless it has had a lot of running. Might just be a loose motor contact. Troubleshoot. Take a 9 volt battery and a couple wires and connect the battery directly to the two motor contacts if no multimeter.

Rich

r0bert

The shells on mine are held on by four screws, one at each corner of the fuel tank.

richg

Quote from: r0bert on August 03, 2011, 03:00:30 AM
The shells on mine are held on by four screws, one at each corner of the fuel tank.

Thanks. Could not tell from the diagram page.

Rich