News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&O EM1

Started by ebtbob, August 04, 2011, 07:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Unless I missed it,  does anyone know what the stated minimum radius is for the newly announced EM1?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

skipgear

I don't think there has been a stated minimum but I would guess 22". It is a double articulated chassis so it will have an easier time with curves than other rigid frame long wheelbase loco's.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

jonathan

Bob,

Has not been mentioned anywhere I can find.   A 22" radius is pretty standard for a large Bachmann loco, but I could live with 24".

I'm more concerned about the swing of the boiler, especially around tunnels.  I may have to do a little filing to get that beast around my loop.  However, I don't have any problems with my full size passenger cars and they hang out quite a bit on curves, so maybe I'll be okay. 

If it will only fit on the club layout, so be it.  I'm still getting two, one with the sound add on.

Can't wait for this one... no kitbashing required for a change... perhaps needs a detail or two.  We'll see when they arrive.

Regards,

Jonathan

train guy

Oh I'd say 22" radius too. That's why I'm gonna upgrade my curves.

ebtbob

I agree with you guys,  22 in would seem to be the reasonable minimum. 
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

train guy

The E-M1s Were huge monsters! The B&O made sure steam was extinguished before they fell to the scrappers torch.

RAM

I read somewhere that someone sent them to be scrapped to get rid of them.  The only thing is that the B&O was wanting to save one of them.

jonathan

In a B&O related forum, the saving of one of the EM-1s has been discussed many times.  There are plenty of stories and rumors.  Apparently one was planned to be set aside for the the B&ORR Museum, but cost became an issue.  The B&O always skirted on the edge of financial problems.  The scrap on a single EM-1 was worth quite a bit, hence all of them fell to the torch.  Sad really...

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

One of the really unfortunate things is that there were both an EM-1 and an S-1 in the Cumberland shops getting heavy repairs when the word came from Baltimore to cease spending any money on steam.  Given what it cost just to put the engines back together just to move them out, a few dollars more would have completed the jobs on both and they might have been candidates for the B&O Museum. 

Pacific Northern

If the EM1 was the baby of the Yellowstones, how much larger were the other for Yellowstones?
Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Thanks for the responses I got on my orginal question which was does anyone know what the minimum radius for the upcoming Bachmann EM-1.  I will assume that Bachmann never stated that radius.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

RAM

since it is not out yet, my guess would be that no one knows.

ryeguyisme

your best bet is likely 22 inch radius, makes it more marketable, i doubt they're make it to run 18 inches because of too many complications. Walthers made their 2-8-8-2 negotiate 18 but the EM-1 has a longer wheel base

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

It most likely won't be stated until the next catalog. But I agree that 22" would be an acceptable minimum turn Radius. I use mostly smaller sized engines like 2-8-0's, 4-6-0's and I also have a GS-4 4-8-4 #4449 and a C&O style 2-8-4. All Bachmann of coarse.

Steve Magee

For a quick comparison of the size of the EM-1, go to www.steamlocomotive.com, and click on he 2-8-8-4 wheel arrangement. Darn I was hoping for a DM&IR version