Split Frame GS4 SP Daylight motor fried, will replacement engine/chassis fit?

Started by Artieiii, August 09, 2011, 09:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artieiii

I have an older Bachmann GS4 SP Daylight (non DCC) and while trying to install DCC/sound I must have fried something inside the motor with the solder iron.  I looked for a replacement motor but the replacement frame/motor looks completely different than my older split frame design.  Will the replacement still fit my older shell?  Will my wheel assembly fit the newer style frame? TIA
-Art

ACY

With enough work they can be made to fit, but with no modifications they will not fit.

Artieiii

OK, I figured out my problem.  While soldering on the DCC controller leads I lost the brushes and springs.  I either need a replacement motor or replacement brushes and springs.  Are these available for this older style motor?  I don't see them listed on the parts page but that motor must be used on other models.  I don't see any listing for interchangeable parts for different models.
-Art

ACY

Quote from: Artieiii on August 10, 2011, 10:37:14 AM
OK, I figured out my problem.  While soldering on the DCC controller leads I lost the brushes and springs.  I either need a replacement motor or replacement brushes and springs.  Are these available for this older style motor?  I don't see them listed on the parts page but that motor must be used on other models.  I don't see any listing for interchangeable parts for different models.
As far as I know the motor used in this locomotive is not used in any locomotives currently in production meaning parts are not available. You may just be better off buying a new and improved model of you locomotive, or you can try to replace it with a newer motor.

Doneldon

Artie-

Before you give up all hope, take your motor to a LARGE full-service hardware store, assuming you still have one in your area. They are disappearing faster than independent bookstores but some communities are lucky enough to still have them. Find the oldest guy in the place and ask him to show you to the bins where they have things like motor brushes and springs. There is a chance that he'll have what you're looking for, or can advise/show you how to fudge brushes from what he has available. That's why you want the oldest guy, by the way. He's the most likely to know his merchandise or to have fudged such things in the past. I can't guarantee that you'll succeed with this, but I'm sure you won't get any brushes from the hardware if you don't give it a shot.
                                                                                                                               -- D

Artieiii

I called Bachmann today and told them the story.  The service rep told me that since they don't make that style anymore the motor is not available.  They told me to send them the train and $40 and they would send me the newer version which has DCC onboard. SWEET!  Thanks for the suggestions the advice may come in handy in the future.
-Art