News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z track turnout

Started by sfromsf, August 13, 2011, 11:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfromsf

Guys,

I purchased and setup a bachmann e-z track layout with a couple of turnouts.

The problem I am having is that every time a loco goes through the turnout, the loco stalls.

It appears that the small plastic V at the turnout is too high.  The wheels on the loco continue to turn so its still getting power, but its raised just enough that it cannot continue forward.

I read on a diff forum that I could file the "frog" down or tweak the e-z track to make it run, but generally recommend a different track than E-Z track.

Can someone tell me if this problem is common with E-Z track, if I should in fact look into different track, and last what is the "frog" and how would I go about filing it down without damaging the turnout?

Thanks.
Cesar

Doneldon

Cesar-

No, the problem is not a common one in my experience. I would check to see that the turnout is flat and level, and then inspect the frog to make sure that it sits all of the way down into the plastic roadbed. The frog, by the way, is the metal piece (looks like an exaggerated X or Y) right at the point that the straight rail and the diverging rail meet. You can file this down a bit but I would be careful about going too far because you could end up with an unreliable turnout. However, if the frog is clearly out of place and you cannot easily press it down into the proper position, I suggest that you return it to the place where you purchased it for a replacement. Technically Bachmann adjusts warranty matters but any reliable hobby shop should be willing to replace merchandise they sold recently. Good luck!
                                                                        -- D