Headlight not coming on for a Spectrum K4 4-6-2 Pacific

Started by OlddManWithHO, August 26, 2011, 11:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlddManWithHO

I just bought a nice loco at my favorite Hobby shop and when I put it on the track, I noticed that the headlight did not come on.  Does this loco have a working headlight?   The instructions say it should.  It has DCC onboard and I have been able to change the address to match the engine number.  I've tried turning F10 on and off, also every othe function but no go.

Anyone know what manufacturer makes the decoder.  Maybe I can get it on by changing the proper CVs.

Roger

richg

Quote from: OlddManWithHO on August 26, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
I just bought a nice loco at my favorite Hobby shop and when I put it on the track, I noticed that the headlight did not come on.  Does this loco have a working headlight?   The instructions say it should.  It has DCC onboard and I have been able to change the address to match the engine number.  I've tried turning F10 on and off, also every othe function but no go.

Anyone know what manufacturer makes the decoder.  Maybe I can get it on by changing the proper CVs.

Roger

Bachmans sells Spectrum locos. Good chance it is made by Bachmann, but that is a guess.  The decoder is a low end Lenz. It is called a EZ Command decoder, not to be confused with the newer on board Tsunami decoder.
Forgot. Almost all the Bachmann locos come with working headlights.
Do a decoder reset. That is covered in you DCC controller manual and the manual for the EZ Command on board decoder in the Bachmann site.
Just in case, CV8, enter 8.

Take the loco back to the LHS. Did you have the LHS check the loco out first on DCC? Any good LHS will have the capability to check a loco on DC and DCC. My LHS does that.

Rich

OlddManWithHO

I just finished some testing after resetting the decoder CV 08.  Light still does not come on.  Checked the decoder wires going into tender and found that putting a LED across the Blue wire and the White wire and F0 on, the LED comes on.  LED goes off when F0 is turned off.  Followed the wires to the plugs, both plugs are involved.  Signal good there so that tells me the problem in in the engine area.  Probibly the bulb is out.

Looking at the brass wheel pickoff for the tender wheels I see one prong is deformed, telling me that this loco has been messed with previously and the Hobby Shop put it back on the shelf.  I'll call Monday and see if they have another replacement loco.  If not I'll see if Bachmann customer service can repair this or give me a replacement.

What say you Bach-Man?

Roger

the Bach-man

Dear Roger,
Give the service department a call on Monday.
Have fun!
the Bach-man