News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas code 55 track

Started by melisrael, September 09, 2011, 01:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melisrael

I have two 44 tonners and two 70 tonners, both purchased new with decoders. I use Atlas code 55 track. These four locos cannot traverse the diverging leg of the turnouts without getting stopped over the frog. I've checked wheel spacing, track spacing, guard rail clearance, trip pins, etc. All of my other locos have no problem like this. Any one else with this problem? Any fix would be appreciated.

skipgear

They are very short wheelbase loco's. You may be to the point of only one wheel making contact with a metal rail when crossing the frog. C55 turnouts are designed to have the frogs powered. If have not wired your turnouts so that your frogs are powered, you should. It's the best way to get reliable running out of them.

What are you using to throw your turnouts? It is very common to use a DPST switch as the drawbar throw and use the switch itself to control frog polarity.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

melisrael

I'm using automatic polarity reversers and ground throws. I don't think the problem is electrical. The loco enters the diverging route and then binds and starts to lift up at the frog. It goes through with no problem on the straight route.

skipgear

OK, then it is a gauge issue. I hadn't heard any issues with the 44T / 70T chassis being drasticly under gauage but if anything is narrow C55 turnouts will find it.

Check the wheel gauge with an NMRA gauge and adjust if needed.
Tony Hines

poliss

Are the flanges too deep to go through without being lifted?

melisrael

If the wheel flanges are too deep, how does one correct that without ruining the wheel?

skipgear

Everything current and released with in the last 5-10 years from Bachmann has NMRA appropriate flanges. Flange depth is not the problem. It is gauge. C55 turnouts are notorious for needing wheelsets that are perfectly in gauge. Some guys even set them a touch wide just to be safe.
Tony Hines

melisrael

OK, I can check gauge again. How is wheel gauge adjusted on a loco? Really appreciate the help.

skipgear

The easy way is to place a small screwdriver behind the wheel and twist.

The best way it to take the truck apart and use your fingers to twist and pull them apart one at a time and adjust them to the gauge.
Tony Hines

melisrael

I think I'll try the "best" way. Thanks again for your help.