News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NYC E-7 A-A set

Started by vern1959, October 02, 2011, 04:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern1959

Just picked up the WBB E-7 in the NYC livery-what a monster! Installed an MRC sound card in the dummy where I also relocated the speaker. Programmed the card and now I have a beautiful A-A unit with sound I can operate on my conventional loop with my MTH DCS remote. The sound is very good must be the roomy dummy cab with all those photo-etched screens to emit the sound through. Really feel these A-A units are a great bargain, think I'll go for a F-7 set next(Great Northern,perhaps!).
Thanks, Williams, nine WBB engines and counting... 
   Vern

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Vern,

I put a MRC AC Sounder in my WBB E7 also:

Sounds just fine!

This started as a Southern unit.  I stripped the paint, re-painted it in Seaboard Mint Green/Dark Green, and applied new decals.  I also installed an ERR Cruise Commander module in it and runs fine.

vern1959

Hey Seaboard,
Awesome paint job on that E7-where did you get the decals from? I have installed 6 MRC sound cards in my WBB engines so far. Volume level not Lionel or MTH quality but tweaking the baffle design produces satisfactory results. Recently removed the PS2 "guts" from an old MTH F40PH engine and relocated them in my WBB B&M model BL-2 it was surprisingly easy. Downloaded and installed a sound file from another MTH PS2 Boston & Maine BL-2 from some years back and now have slow speed and full sound capability in the WBB loco for my DCS loop. These WBB engines give you lots of options and roadnames to play with or in your case the freedom to pursue your own personal favorite. Keep up the good work you really nailed that Seaboard livery!
                Vern

Seaboard Air Line Fan

The decals are from Microscale.  I had to use 2 sets as the stripe from one is not long enough.

I generally run 1 train at a time and running the E7 by itself the sound is fine.  When running 2 PS2 trains the noise is sufficient enough that it's hard to distinguish either engine unless you're standing next to it.

I'd like to eventually put PS2 in my E7, but that's a future project.  I have a 2-80 steamer that needs it bad!

stationmaster12

Hey Guys! what MRC part are you all talking about?! I have a Lionel 0-8-0 with trainsounds that I'd like to upgrade. Also considering buying a WBB BL-2 in Florida East Cost colors. What is the part number for the MRC board and how does it work on conventional AC layouts? Thanks!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

SantaFe158

Quote from: stationmaster12 on November 08, 2011, 11:13:38 AM
Hey Guys! what MRC part are you all talking about?! I have a Lionel 0-8-0 with trainsounds that I'd like to upgrade. Also considering buying a WBB BL-2 in Florida East Cost colors. What is the part number for the MRC board and how does it work on conventional AC layouts? Thanks!!

MRC only makes a diesel sound board for O scale (as far as I know).  For steam sounds you'd have to go with a Railsounds upgrade kit (ERR, digital dynamics, etc) or an MTH PS-2 upgrade.

stationmaster12

Thanks! I like the upgrade options I have! I would have not known this unless this forum was here. I've never heard of Digital Dynamics or ERR. And I've been "playing" with toy trains for over ten years!! Thanks again!
Keep God first in all that you do.