News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CV to reset Decoder

Started by Hwolf, October 15, 2011, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwolf

I have a Bachmann climax with a Bachmann Decoder.  The Engine just stopped.  I need to know what CV takes it back to factory setting?  I have been on MR and it seems that might be the answer.  I have used CV8=8 but I need to know if that is correct.

richg

Quote from: Hwolf on October 15, 2011, 11:01:36 AM
I have a Bachmann climax with a Bachmann Decoder.  The Engine just stopped.  I need to know what CV takes it back to factory setting?  I have been on MR and it seems that might be the answer.  I have used CV8=8 but I need to know if that is correct.

If you used 8, did it reset? You did not say.

Rich

Hwolf

Here is the order I did it.  Is this correct?
1. Engine on Prog track
2. Skiped address and all setting until I got to CV
3. Entered 008-Enter
4. Entered 008 Enter It showed sent.

No. Nothing happened.  Do I need to show the engine address when I do this?

jward

what dcc system are you using? somedigitrax systems need a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track before they will recognize the bachmann decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Don't know what your system is. My NCE Power Cab tells me.
Does the loco operate now? You never did say.
When you post a question, try to include as much info as possible so others can maybe point you in the correct direction sooner.
Others may have had this issue with the same controller and manufacturers loco.
I use the SoundTraxx decoders but the Power Cab works with them for reset. As was said, clip a resistor across the rails is a solution I see every so often,
If your is non sound, then it is a low end Lenz decoder the last I knew.

Rich

Hwolf

Using MRC Prodogy Advance.

Engine does not run but lights turn on in Forward & Reverse

richg

Quote from: Hwolf on October 15, 2011, 12:01:45 PM
Using MRC Prodogy Advance.

Engine does not run but lights turn on in Forward & Reverse

Not familiar with the system. What does the manual say?

Did you try the resistor thing?

Below is a useful document you can download and save. May not help here.

http://00200530.pdl.pscdn.net/002/00530/MRH04/DCC%20Shortcuts%20Card.pdf

Rich

hawaiiho

The Reset CV and Value varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the Bachmann decoder manual that I have does not provide this information.

I probably would consider calling Bachmann Service on Monday morning.

Having said that, the link that was provided, if you have not already found it, has a check list

included within titled "Loco doesn't move".

You might try that.

BTW, I printed that page and attached it to hard stock as I found myself referring to it VERY often.

jward

since you are using prodigy advance, which is the same system my dad uses on his layout, i thought i'd pass this along.....

some background info: i had bought 2 bachmann gp40s at a train show. i had taken them to run on my dad's layout, where he consisted them together. when i tried to run them on my own layout, neither would run. i was unable to reset them on either my system (digitrax zephyr0 or my friend's (nce pro cab)......in fact, we were unable to get a readback of the cv's on either system to determine what address they were consisted under.

jim banner provided the following, which worked for me:

The preferred consisting method with the Prodigy Advance is Advanced consisting.  This is done by programming the consist address into CV19 of each of the locomotives.

The easiest way of removing locomotives from advanced consisting with the Zephyr is to program a zero into CV19.  You can do this on the programming track using direct mode programming but only if you connect a 1000 ohm resistor across the track.

Almost as easy is to program a zero into CV19 with the locomotive on the main and with all other locomotives off the track.  Because you do not know the address of the locomotive, use address 00 with OPS mode programming.  This will send the command to all addresses, thus the above caveat. 

Once you are out of advanced consisting, the locomotives should run on their former addresses.  If those are unknown, reset the decoders to their factory defaults by programming an 8 into CV8.  Now they should run on address 03.

You might want to try this out before changing decoders, both for you own satisfaction and to check that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the locomotives.

Non operation on dc is a result of programming the locomotives with Prodigy.  Its default is to turn dc operation off.  Zephyr's default is to leave dc operation as it was and let you decide if you want to change it.

Jim

thanks to jim, i have my locomotives running again, and i hope he doesn't mind that i copied and pasted his instructions. good luck to you.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

looking at the dcc cheat sheet in the link richg provided. it says that for lenz decoders the default reset is to program cv8 to 33. since the bachmann decoder is a lenz type, try that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA