News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in a spectrum 4-8-2?

Started by blwfish, October 29, 2011, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blwfish

I picked up a Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 (C&O). It's 82503, which I understand to be DCC ready. I would like to install the decoder, as well as sound. I don't see a manual or instruction sheet available, and my box didn't come with one.  It's not 100% obvious how to open this up, so I thought I'd ask before jumping in.

I see a screw that seems to go up through the cylinder saddle into presumably the smokebox or boiler. The tender isn't especially obvious either, although it seems likely that there are two screws through the center sill into the coal bunker and water tank.

How is sound usually placed in this model? I'm planning to use a QSI Titan-U decoder that prefers to have two speakers. It would appear that the tender is easily big enough to hold a fairly large speaker (oval?). The six wires going from tender to locomotive suggest that the decoder is usually installed in the tender. Is there room in the boiler shell for a (small) speaker?

blwfish

Excellent, that's precisely what I was looking for (and what wasn't in my box!) Thanks a bunch!