News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 High Side Gondolas

Started by canpac, November 19, 2011, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canpac

Can anyone tell me if you have ever tried to convert one of these cars to just a flat car or removed some of the sides to make it into a low side gondola?. I guess my bigger question is...Can you safely remove the sides and ends without damaging the car..One other inquiry...How does one remove the factory applied decals on these cars. Thanks in advance for any ideas or experiences you would care to share with me on my inquiries.

S. Calloway

These cars are easy to disassemble and kit bash! Remove the trucks and the under frame ,with just a little pressure,will come free from the body. I used several of these cars To make some ET&WNC flats that are 36ft long. I use the frame and lengthen it, then use the end detail cut with a razor saw. I then build new sides using strip wood,also using wood for a new deck. New brake detail, queen posts,trucks from San juan and decals, and you have an easy to build,good looking, hard working flat. Just add new sides, and you have gons also! Hope this helps!! ;)  Dwayne Calloway

canpac

Thanks dwayne for the great tips. Hoping to get a few more for some other projects down the road. Enjoy your trains. Michael

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security