News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

brass vs nickel silver vs steel

Started by full maxx, November 23, 2011, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

RobBob

nickel silver... say no more.  It's the best. 

ebtbob

Good Evening all,

Brass,  decent track,  but not made anymore.

Steel,  only available in forms of EZ track.   Problem when it oxidizes,  it   
      rusts.

Nickel Silver -  The type of rail that manufactures use on the track that is
      most available these days.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

maxx-

Nickel-Silver. It's the only way to fly.

-- D

Jim Banner

But don't believe everything you read.  Compare this: "The most popular track today is called "nickel silver" because it is an alloy of those two metals."  to this: "The usual formulation [of nickel silver]  is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc."

Only the second statement is correct.  Nickel silver contains no silver.  If it did, it would probably be a better rail material.  At the least, it would be more conductive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tac

My BIL and I have long-term experience of both NS and brass in the garden here in UK.

We have had NS Peco 00/H0 track down since 1974, and brass G-scale since 1978.

Both can be made to look just like new.  The brass in MY backyard suffers from the acid rain in this part of the world, and needs to be cleaned up every time I run, even if that's two or three times a week.  I use the LGB pad cleaner - IMO the best hand-held device made.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS