News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

lubrication and lubricant

Started by kretch53, November 24, 2011, 11:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kretch53

While you are lubricating must you use Bachmanns E-Z LUBE to lubricate as the company recommends or will any brand lubricant work as well ????

richg

As long a it is plastic compatible. Many model railroad lubricants are usually labeled plastic compatible. Not all. A film is all that is needed. More is not better.
Don't use WD40. WD40 has lubricating properties but it is not a lubricant. WD40 is mostly a solvent which pretty much evaporates over time.
Under certain conditions, water can be a lubricant but not for model railroading.

Rich

WoundedBear

I think it's time to refresh an old post of mine on the subject of WD-40.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18054.msg146732.html#msg146732

Think outside the spray can ;)

Sid

richg

With gears you will want a 'gear oil' which is thicker than oil used on bearings.
Many are now using a model railroad conductive lubricant for shafts/axles where track current flows. One on line company I deal with lubricates the locos they sell with this conductive lubricant.  Not a Bachmann product though.
You will always be better off using the proper product for model railroad use if you are not familiar with lubricants.

Rich

CNE Runner

Kretch - Check out this informational video specifically concerning Bachmann locomotives and lubrication.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 24, 2011, 03:07:47 PM
Kretch - Check out this informational video specifically concerning Bachmann locomotives and lubrication.

Ray

A picture is worth a thousand words and there are many pictures in the video.
Anyone reading this thread should store the link in Favorites.
You can also download the video to your PC. Anyone who has taken the time to learn how to use a PC should have no problem doing that.

Rich

Doneldon

kretch-

There are just two rules:

1. Make sure your lubricants are plastic compatible.

2. Use half of what you think is the absolute minimum.

-- D

poliss

A while ago I emailed the WD-40 company to ask if it was suitable for model railway use. The reply I got was that the didn't know. Remember that the WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant, 40th attempt. I've used it on other things and, because it is so thin, after a while it runs out everywhere leaving a yucky black gunk.
If you run out of Labelle lubes then I'd say that either you've got a 100 locos or you're using far too much oil. One bottle should last years.

CNE Runner

I don't know; WD-40 is petrochemical based...plastics are petrochemical (see the potential problem?). I think I would stick with lubricants that are specifically designed for our hobby, and leave the WD-40 for such things as cleaning the lime deposit off glass shower doors (come on...admit it...you never knew this was possible - it works).

I hope everyone, that celebrates Thanksgiving, had a wonderful day. Remember, Saturday is Iron Bowl day (1430 hrs.)...ROLL TIDE!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WoundedBear

Poliss......

With as quick as Americans are with a law suit, did you really expect a different answer from the folks who make WD-40? Bottom line is, it's always up to the consumer to determine a products appropriate use. As for the leakage part of your reply.....all I can think is that you're using way too much of it. Like I said....don't use it directly from a spray can. I buy it in gallons for the race team and we use pump bottles....no aerosol cans. I pour a little into an old pill bottle and use a microbrush to apply it.

CNE.......and what are Labelle lubes if not a type of petrochemical? As for Model Train specific....well, even Labelle says this about their products....

"Many of the LaBelle Lubricants recommended for model railroaders are exactly the same as used by NASA in the space program; Ford Motor Corp; Chrysler Corp; Singer/Fredon & Wurlitzer"

Don't kid yourself....these lubes were not developed with only the model railroader in mind.

I'm not saying that WD-40 is going to replace all the different lubes out there. I'm saying don't be afraid of it and add it to your inventory of lubes. You'll find uses for it.

Sid

richg

I never try to advise what seem to be are newbies by using WD40. I use WD40 a lot but never model railroading. I want to start off people who do not understand lubrication on the right foot. Use the proper product and the mentioned video is great. As they gain experience with lubrication they can modify their procedures if they so choose.
There are situations where WD40 can get you onto trouble if you believe it will work on mostly anything. Assumptions are known to cause issues.
After bring in model railroading many years, I have seen plenty of people who had incomplete info on different issue, much of it because of assumptions.
I learned many years ago the benefit of doing something correct, the first time.

Rich

poliss

I didn't ask the WD-40 USA compnay, I asked the WD-40 UK company. They replied "WD-40 is suitable for use on many surfaces including metal and some plastic." Note 'some' plastic.
I don't want to risk my £200.00 ($308.00) locomotive on a product that may or may not be suitable when I can buy a product that I know will be ok.