News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

airport model

Started by pitchgod, December 22, 2011, 12:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchgod

We are new to this, we got our son an ho model train for Christmas. One other thing he is really into is airports. We have been unable to find an ho scale airport for his future layout. Does anyone have any ideas where we could find one?

Thanks

CNE Runner

Airports aren't something that is commonly modeled on our layouts. The reason is that they 'eat up' a tremendous amount of real estate. For example: Runway 13R/31L at Kennedy [JFK] measures 14,572'. This would scale out (in HO) at roughly 167'...a 'tad' longer than most basements. If we look at a small, general aviation airport the runways approximate 2,500' (or roughly 28' in HO).

Usually one models a small portion of an airport (maybe part of a runway or part of a small grass landing strip. Because of this 'space' problem airport components are not readily available. I suggest doing a 'Google' search. A cursory look through the Walthers catalog unearthed one offering: #189-1050 Glider Field w/accessories from Busch and priced @ $40.99.

You could construct some Quonset hangars from halves of used coffee cans or PVC pipe. These could be decorated, painted and weathered to closely approximate the real thing (Quonset-style hangars are fairly rare these days though). [Busch also offers a Quonset hangar #189-1408 @ $34.99] Be sure to have at least one Luscombe on the ramp.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

pitchgod

Thanks for the info. Was just trying to combine his interests, maybe a grass airstrip is the way to go.
Can't wait for Sunday morning to see his face and start to play with my, errrr his new set. We will probably have a million questions once we get going so it is nice to see there is a place to go to get info,

Doneldon

pg-

Model just a corner of the airport and the beginning of a runway which flows off of the edge of your layout. A small terminal building with a second story control tower on top, a hanger or two (the quonset hut idea was a good one), a couple of planes and concrete or grass running a short way before reaching the end of the layout should do just fine. Heck, we all have to imagine that our railroads connect with a vast unmodeled world so a short runway isn't a stretch. Our roads and sometimes our tracks already end at layout edges so this wouldn't even be an exceptional feature. Plus, you could add some operational complexity by having your tracks cross the airstrip!!! There is prototypical precedent for this, as there is for virtually anything we can imagine to do. Just install some gates which would restrict access to the airstrip when a train must pass. This could be an interesting variation on the highway crossing gates which were once so ubiquitous across the country. Or, have the airstrip disappear behind scenery or buildings so viewers will understand that it continues beyond sight.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

CNE Runner

While 1:87 scale aircraft are available...the choices are very limited. You might want to try using some of the Hallmark Christmas aircraft as they seem to be in the range of HO scale. If it is a grass strip you are 'shooting for' I would keep the type aircraft to the conventional gear (tailwheel) variety: J-3 Cubs, Aeronca Champs, Luscombe 8, Cessna 120/140/195 etc. If your son wants multi-engined aircraft you might want to look for Cessna T50 or Beechcraft Model 18s ('used to fly checks, overnight, in these old birds and [not so] fondly remember the windshield leaking badly in the rain...used to keep a bunch of old sectional charts handy to 'detour' the water onto the floor and off my lap...ah, memories).

If you get the chance, post us a picture of your little 'airport'.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

pg-

You can also imply an airport by flying planes from fishing line or on stiff piano wire supports from below.

-- D

Steve Magee

Or, if you really REALLY want a model airport, there is always this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz4NcTnQedo&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_785740

And yes,  it is all in HO scale

Cheers

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

gandy dancer#1

I have an airporton my set, Ipurchased a hangar an 2 1:87 piper cubs with some accesories to include a windsock. I have plans on installig a ready made runway with fiberoptic lighta availabele.My further plans are to build my own planes either from rigid foam, or possiblyout od a very soft wood.Being raised in the ag aircraft industry i hope to model some 1:87 scale crop dusters and looking at a stagger wing beech, my favorite bird as a young man. So yes you can have an airport,mine only takes up an area of 24 inches in lenth and 12 inches in depth where hangar sits.
M.R.BURNS

Jhanecker2

To Steve Magee :  Thanks , that is really impressive Modelling . I have seen other videos of Wunderland and if I ever  get to Hamburg that is one of the things that I would definitely go to See .  It is sinply amazing what money and time can accomplish . J 2 .

Terry Toenges

Steve - That was really neat. In some of the video it's hard too tell it isn't real. I like the way they handled the take off.
Feel like a Mogul.