News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4's

Started by Limey, December 25, 2011, 09:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Mr. Bachmann,
                        Further to a post by IHC360 about the lack of C.N. rolling stock, I was wondering if your company had any plans to bring out a 4-8-4 in C.N. livery.
   You do the 4-8-2 Hvy. Mntn. of which C.N. only had 79 locomotives but have neglected the 4-8-4 of which they had 182.  Please consider this great loco for future production either in C.N. livery or painted/undecorated.  DCC equipped would be nice, with sound would be even better. 
      I really like your products now that your quality control has improved immensely.

Regards, Limey.

the Bach-man

Dear limey,
I'll pass along your request.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

rogertra

Quote from: Limey on December 25, 2011, 09:54:06 AM
Mr. Bachmann,
                        Further to a post by IHC360 about the lack of C.N. rolling stock, I was wondering if your company had any plans to bring out a 4-8-4 in C.N. livery.
   You do the 4-8-2 Hvy. Mntn. of which C.N. only had 79 locomotives but have neglected the 4-8-4 of which they had 182.  Please consider this great loco for future production either in C.N. livery or painted/undecorated.  DCC equipped would be nice, with sound would be even better. 
      I really like your products now that your quality control has improved immensely.

Regards, Limey.

Oh hope not!

The Bachmann 4-8-4 looks nothing like a CNR Northern.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on December 26, 2011, 12:21:23 AM
Quote from: Limey on December 25, 2011, 09:54:06 AM
Mr. Bachmann,

Regards, Limey.

Oh hope not!

The Bachmann 4-8-4 looks nothing like a CNR Northern.

Take heart, the 2-10-2 was found on the CNR. Change the cab over to the enclosed type and you have a close version.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on December 26, 2011, 12:34:48 AM

Take heart, the 2-10-2 was found on the CNR. Change the cab over to the enclosed type and you have a close version.

[/quote]

However, I believe the USRA 2-10-2s on the CNR had Baker valve gear.

What gear do the Spectrum CNR engines have?

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on December 26, 2011, 02:33:01 AM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on December 26, 2011, 12:34:48 AM

However, I believe the USRA 2-10-2s on the CNR had Baker valve gear.

What gear do the Spectrum CNR engines have?
[/quote]
Walschaerts, aAs they were Alco built

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/santafe/?page=cnr
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Most of the Spectrum 2-10-2 models unfortunately have that strange Southern valve gear.

The ex B&A 2-10-2s that became CNR class T3a had Southern valve gear while on the B&A but I think they were converted to either Baker or Walschaerts once on the CNR.

Trying to Google but not having much luck.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

We need more ALCO engines like the Union Pacific 844 or the Milwaukee Road 261. the 844 would be a big seller anywhere but the 261 would be something nobody has ever done in HO scale. Overland years back did the Milwaukee Road S-2 class 4-8-4's but nobody has done the Milwaukee Road S-3 class 4-8-4's (The class of 4-8-4 the Milwaukee Road 261 is from).

Pacific Northern

Quote from: florynow on December 30, 2011, 03:43:08 PM
182 locomotives do not represent a widespread prototype with widespread sales appeal in model form.  The MP had about that many Spot Class consolidations (173) but I do not expect the Bach Man to ever produce one just because I want one or two.

Harriman engines are a much better sales bet.  How about it Bach Man?  How about Harriman 4-6-2's or 2-8-2's?  You already have the coal and oil Vanderbilt tenders to make the SP and UP versions.  Harriman-run (years back) SP and UP are huge selling major road names.  IC, another Harriman road, is also big and not far behind.

These are nice midsized steam engines in between the consolidation and the 4-8-2's produced in the days of yore.  You can't lose with these.  I'll be looking for them in a couple of years.

PF

I support the call for the Harriman locomotives as well.

Do not forget that they renaged from 4-4-2's to 2-6-0's and 2-6-2's as well as the 4-6-2 and 2-8-0's
Pacific Northern

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

They did and still do You can find it in the HO Scale Overland Set. It isn't DCC or DCC ready. It is just a straight DC engine with smoke. And my thinking behind the UP FEF-3 class 4-8-4's like the 844 and the Milwaukee Road S-3 class 4-8-4's like the Milwaukee Road 261 is Bachmann has done a few restored steam engines like from the 4-8-4 wheel arrangement, the SP 4449 (in both "Railfan Daylight" and American Freedom Train versions) and N&W 611; from the 2-10-0 catagory, the Frisco 1630; from the 2-8-4 catagory, the PM 1225 and the NKP 765 and 759; and from the 2-10-2 class (even though it doesn't run) the DM&IR #506 (static display in the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI) and I just figured since lionel came out with the 261 in O scale recently, it was time for someone to make the 261 in HO scale and Athearn hasn't made the FEF Northerns of the UP in a while and it is almost impossible to find them and if you do they are expensive.