News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any new products for 2012?

Started by fredlove2laugh, December 27, 2011, 08:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredlove2laugh

Your locomotives likethe generic 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 are nice and great for re-lettering, but is there going to be any new locomotives like a K-28 in the 2012 catalog? New stock would be nice, especially since an On30 K-28 is hard to find.

Fred

mabloodhound

Fred,
They're still in the midst of getting the Heisler off the ground and out to the public.   As the shipment has now been sent back to China for a rework, I don't think you'll see anything new this year in the way of locos.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Hamish K

In recent years at least the catalogue (and the New York Tot fair announcements) have not contained any major new announcements for On30. These have been made at the NMRA convention in summer. The catalogues have shown new sets, new liveries and the like. The catalogue does show as "new" items announced since the previous catalogue, so the Heislers and lLog Skidders will probably be in the catalogue as "new".

I hope the delay in the Heislers does not prevent the announcement of one or more major new items in the summer, I would hope for a 2-6-2 of some sort, my preference is for a tank locomotive but others will have other ideas.

Hamish

Stevelewis

I dont  think  that  we  are  likely  to  see  a K 28, Simply because it is a "BIG" narrow gauge locomotive and as such  needs large radius (wide) curves, which many 0n30 modellers simply do not have the space to provide. Therefore the low sales potential for such a large loco is probably not going to make it a viable project.

I think that we are  going to have to be satisfied with the  Heisler for the forseeable future, ( which according to Bachmann Europe's website   is expected within the next 60 days in the UK)

Although I for one  would welcome a Narrow Gauge Diesel loco ( Rich Yoders model is great but a little too expensive for me!!).
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

darryl1936

That is a nifty little diesel switcher, SP #1 model.  TOF

Tomcat

What about a D&RGW C-21 or C-25?

Or - favorite to so many people in the Narrow Gauge World: A C&S engine, such as B4F and preferably in her Rio Grande Southern version, RGS 74 too. Would be awesome.

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

railtwister

The SP 50 tonner is a neat little engine, but the model is only powered on one truck, supposedly because there wasn't room for the drive gear on the truck under the cab because the cab interior would have been compromised. Personally, I would prefer both trucks be powered even if it meant less cab detail.

As for the rest of the C series steam locos, remember that these were all three foot gauge prototypes, and larger ones than the C-16. There were many complaints that the BLI C-16 and also the Bachmann ten wheelers were too big, and didn't look right on people's layouts. Even the Bachmann O.F. 2-8-0 drew some similar comments and it is a 30" gauge prototype. The C-25 was especially large compared to the C16, and was a rather unique loco, even when compared with 3 foot prototypes.

Bill in FL

kcsivils1

Size is a relative issue. For those modeling actual industrial railways, 24 inch lines or 30 inch lines, the ten-wheelers are huge and the OF 2-8-0, though based on an actual 30 inch prototype, is large.

For these who use On30 for poor man's On3, these are not giant locomotives. It just depends on what your little railroad empire calls for.

Stevelewis

Quote from: railtwister on January 06, 2012, 11:57:26 AM
The SP 50 tonner is a neat little engine, but the model is only powered on one truck, supposedly because there wasn't room for the drive gear on the truck under the cab because the cab interior would have been compromised. Personally, I would prefer both trucks be powered even if it meant less cab detail.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good  info  here  Bill,,  I was not  aware  that    the SP  50 tonner  is only  single bogie powered!
I find its  quite difficult  to  gain info on it!

I feel also that  this  would  seriously compromise  its performance  and  I would  prefer  all wheel powere & less cab detail!
Your info  has   really  helped me  make a  decision on  whether  I will purchase  one  or  not!

caddy54

i like the larger size of the 2-8-0,4-60,compared to the mallet,which is dwarfed by the pass cars. i run a fictitiuos class one railroad in on30,as a subsiduary of the P.R.R,so these units are quite at home,love the motion in slow motion,smooth as. have two mallets  that have different drawbar pull,i.e. 1 pulls more cars than the other.any ideas on why?

Stevelewis

I currently have  2  Mallets  both  are  aproximately  equal   performance  wise,

However  I did notice  a non sound one I had  previously  was a little more powerful than the 2 I have at the moment.

Re  the  'dwarfed' mallets .... try  using a low freight car  ( flat or low Gond ) between the  tender and passenger cars    this visually lessens the  size effect somewhat.

railtwister

Quote from: Stevelewis on January 08, 2012, 04:30:50 AM

Good  info  here  Bill, I was not aware  that the SP 50 tonner is only single bogie powered!
I find its  quite difficult  to  gain info on it!

I feel also that  this  would  seriously compromise  its performance  and  I would  prefer  all wheel power & less cab detail! Your info  has   really  helped me  make a  decision on  whether  I will purchase  one  or  not!

Hi Steve,

As long as all wheels are picking up the track current, the only compromise to the locos performance from only having one truck motorized should be in it's pulling power. In this case, the loco is a small switcher, so it's pulling power for yard work is probably adequate, but if you need it to be a road engine, it might be necessary to restrict the train length, especially up a grade.

I haven't seen this loco in person, so I am uneasy about someone basing their buying choice on my statement alone. Perhaps contacting Rich Yoder (the importer) and asking him directly about this loco's pulling power would be the best thing to do. If nothing else, it would give him a chance to hear your concerns about having only one truck powered. I would have done that myself, but one of my reasons for getting into On30 was to not be tempted to buy any brass locos that I can't afford...

Bill in FL

Stevelewis

Hi Bill

Dont  worry   I thank you for your info, it is  quite difficult to gain a lot of specific info  from the  manufacturer, I did  ask him re  the  status of the  model  and he did advise me that it was 4 whl drive  etc eventually  then referring me  to a reveiw in the press!
However  having been in  railway modelling  for around 50 years ( modelling  from Z to 5" gauge) I would be very wary  of spending  a larger than usual amount on a loco  which i feel  should have 8 wheel drive  but  hasnt!
All the small  Brass  8 wheel drive H0 diesels  (PFM etc) I once owned,  were 8 wheel drive and performed  well.

I think as you say that  gradients would perhaps be a problem,  as the locos on the current 0n30 layout do have to climb a few  hills!!  Which the Bachmann ones  do  admirably as one  would  expect!!
So if I want a diesel  it  looks  like  I will have  to  get  some  more  'bits' from Boulder Valley  and  an H0  loco for its  chassis,mind you there are a lot of USA loco H0 bargains in the retailers over here at the moment, so a sound one is quite affordable!
Steve

lvrr325

From what I've read, the real SP #1 was considered a lemon anyways.