News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Additional Power

Started by NewRRer, December 28, 2011, 09:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewRRer

I am considering converting to DCC. I run two somewhat parallel tracks of approximately 28 feet each with 2 turnouts on each with EZ Track. They do not currently intersect. It has been suggested to me that I consider adding additional power every 5 to 8 feet of track if I convert to DCC. Is this necessary to convert to DCC?

blwfish

It's a good idea whether you're using DC or DCC - the rails have a considerable amount of resistance, meaning that the power delivered to your loco is considerably less when it's far from the feed than when it's right above it.

NewRRer

Thanks blwfish but is every 5 to 8 feet overkill or what?

Jerrys HO

Overkill, definetly not. If it did not mean having a spaghetti factory under your layout I bet more than me would love to have them every foot. The farther current travels whether it be thru the wires or rails you will lose voltage at the other end UNLESS you keep feeding it power along the way.
Jerry

Doneldon

New-

A feeder every 5-8' is a good idea for DCC; I don't think it is necessary for DC. DCC is just a little bit finicky about getting good, consistent power.

The reason that feeders are so important is that the metal in our rails is only a fair conductor. That means that a bit of the power is used in the process of conductance. Copper, which is what virtually all of the wire you will encounter is made from, is an excellent conductor, meaning there is less loss as the electricity travels in the wire than in the rails. Plus, we can use relatively large wire for our main "buss" wires and larger wires carry power with less loss. So ... use fairly large copper wire, like the wire in an extension cord, for the main wires coming from your power pack or DCC system, and thin copper wires for the short (best to keep them to 6-8") feeders up to the rails. If you are building a medium to large layout (doubtful for a beginner) you would use even larger wire for your buss wires, say 14 or 16 gauge wire such as is used inside the walls of your home.
                            -- D

Desertdweller

When DCC first appeared, one of the big selling points was, "You could run an entire layout with only two wire connections."

Most (but not all) blocks on my DC layout are longer than five feet.  I have a main bus wire that follows the route of my main lines under the layout, with jumpers every few feet.  This is the "return" side of my common-rail wiring.  The opposite rail is the one controlled through my block selector switches.

Each remote-control switch requires three wires.

It seems, DC or DCC, you are going to wind up with a mess of spaghetti under your layout.  Your only hope is to try to keep your wiring as neat and orderly as possible, and make it so you can trace problems back to their source.

Les

JoeSantora

What you could try is to run a buss wire to the furthest point on your loops. That would make it only 7 feet worth of rail resistance to deal with. Like they've said "more is better", but halfing the distance is a good start.

Joe