News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound & Smoke in NKP 2-8-4 Berkshire

Started by Avoght, December 31, 2011, 09:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avoght

Has anyone added sound and smoke in a NKP 2-8-4 Berkshire?  What seems to work well, not work so well?

Thanks

Doneldon

Av-

Smoke would be difficult as you'd have to modify the weight and probably the frame or boiler shell. And you's wind up with wimpy "smoke" which will deposit mineral oil all over your loco, track and scenery.

Sound should be easy. It will go right inside of your tender. It should be a pop-in job unless your loco is not DCC-Ready. Then it would be a little harder and more time consuming, but not much.
                                                      -- D

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

That link will demonstrate installing a TSU-1000 Heavy Steam Tsunami Decoder and speaker in a Berk.  It's one of the easier installs out there.

I have seen you tube video of a guy who installed a Seuthe Smoke unit in a Berkshire.  It can be done, albeit a lot of work for an effect that fouls up your layout.

Regards,
Jonathan

napa15

Jonathan, I have this same locomotive and have been itching to get some sound going. I am finally going to take the DCC jump on my layout and this will be my first sound equipped engine. I say why not jump in with both feet and do a sound install myself (I'm also going to buy a sound equipped loco too, just not sure which one yet).

Anyway, could you be sou kind as to provide a reputable link as to where to purchase the Tsunami Decoder and speaker you used? Or, did you purchase them locally at your hobby dealer? I have a few locally, but they do not stock things like this in store and they are NOT cheap... the stuff they stock here are usually significantly overpriced, and I guess I can't blame them. Anyway, didn't know if you had an online vendor you liked to use. I have one I like on ebay, but they do not sell these two items.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Chuck

jonathan

Chuck,

I purchased my Tsunami at a Local Hobby Store.  Not much less than retail.  However, he did throw in the speaker for free.

I have seen DCC/Sound dealers at train shows.  They seem to have the best prices; usually 25-30% less than MSRP.  That's where I will be looking when I feel like adding sound to my other locos.  I have shopped and purchased on line, but that's a last resort for me.  I like to hold and study an item, if possible, before I decide to buy.  Wish I could be more help...

I probably paid more than most folks for my EM-1s and sound unit, due to using an LHS.  But I felt more comfortable using a local merchant for such a major purchase.

Regards,

Jonathan

napa15

Thanks for the information. You and I think alike.. I too prefer to see and hold the item before I purchase. I am a hesitant purchaser. It has taken me a LONG time to even take the DCC step, though my layout is a modest 4x8 and only a small number of engines will be DCC as there are only two track lines that will operate on DCC. Anyway, I am also in a serious dilemma as to which engine to purchase that comes with sound installed. I want Bachmann, but don't have a fortune to spend. I also don't want an engine that has the Civil War appearance, which to me the 4-4-0 engines seem to me to have. The 4-6-0 engines kind of have that appearance as well. I need something that will run on 18 degree radius track and has a little more modern appearance.. and good sound.

Do you have suggestions for such a loco?

jonathan

Ah, yes.

If you can find one, the 2-8-0 Consolidation, with sound, is the perfect fit.

I happen to have one, runs and sounds great, and will turn on 18"R with ease.  Unfortunately, they are out of production.

My LHS has an undecorated DCC/Sound 2-8-0 in the store right now.  I would snap it up, but I don't need any more Connies:  Trains, Etc. is the local dealer.  They have a website.  This loco was previously owned, but never opened.

I might also suggest the new 2-6-0 with sound.  It's small, but quite a bargain.

If you don't mind that PRR look, the K4 4-6-2 would also be a good candidate, but you would have to install your own sound.  The tender looks roomy enough.

The Berkshire would probably be a bit too big for your layout, but I have read that a few folks got their Berks to negotiate 18"R.  Risky...

Regards,

Jonathan

napa15

Would you mind posting the link to the website for your LHS, so I can get the info for the 2-8-0, I just might be interested in snatching it up. :) My layout has a lower level that has an inner and outer loop. The outer loop has 22 radius turns, so the Bark can negotiate that fine, and does so now with ease. I am looking for the smaller engine so I have a runner with sound for the smaller inner loop.

I have an upper level that also has an outer and inner loop (18 and 15 degree) that will be DC only. In fact, the layout began, and is still being constructed much in the form of the Bachmann Sodor Island Display layout they created. It is my first ever layout I've attempted and I am doing it for my enjoyment, for my son and daughter's enjoyment, and a tribute my my late Grandfather.. who is the reason I enjoy trains so much. Here's a link to a somewhat recent video of what it looks like, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxi5OvxFh60&list=UUCCFdpXt-D-yp4c5rEJeDlA&index=1&feature=plcp

napa15

Just wanted to thank you for your assistance Jonathan. I have the Tsunami Decoder and speaker ordered through my LHS and on its way here. Really looking forward to the installation. I also called your LHS and spoke with a guy there about the 2-8-0 Connie and REALLY want it.. but don't think I can swing it right now unfortunately. My work computer just took a dump. so now I have to replace it.. so now new train right now.  :(

jonathan

Chuck,

You are welcome.  Glad to help.  Ah well, if that Connie sits there long enough, perhaps I'll pick it up one day.

Enjoyed your video.  That Sodor Island Layout sure looks familiar... hmmmm ;).  Seems like the kids really enjoy the Thomas stuff, while Dad gets to run his trains, too.  Great idea.

Good luck with the install.  Remember, Tsunamis are not dual mode from the factory, DCC only.  You'll have to find a guru if you want it DC/DCC.

Regards,

Jonathan

uncbob

As others posted
THE 2-8-0 IS A GREAT CHOICE
So would the new 2-6-0s
Both operated  to the end of steam and go well on 18"
I guess you already have the track but a 4x8 can handle a 22"