News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnout

Started by THERAILROADNUT, January 02, 2012, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THERAILROADNUT

:) What's the dif?  n/s ez #4- #5 -#6  l/r turnout ??? Thank you...

Jhanecker2

The difference between  nickel -silver turnout is the rate at which the diverging track seperates from the straight line track  .  A  # 4 turnout diverges at a rate of one track width per four widths of length ,  A #5 turnout diverges at a rate of one width for every five widths  of length , and a #6  diverges a rate of one width for every six widths of length . Right & left refer to whether the track diverges to the right or left of the thru track. EZ track is track mounted on a roadbed as opposed to  track without roadbed .

THERAILROADNUT

8) Thank you. And so for a 22%rad and if i run 89' rollingstock go with #6 turnout.

Jhanecker2

I  assume the track  you are referring to is a  curved track of  22 inch radius . That would probably be the minimum radius to accommodate a car that long but greater would be better . Overhang becomes a problem with long cars  and small radius curves. J2

Jerrys HO

RRNUT

I try to use #5 and #6's on everything. Less derailment issues. Works with all radius.

Jerry

THERAILROADNUT

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 03, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
RRNUT

I try to use #5 and #6's on everything. Less derailment issues. Works with all radius.

Jerry
:)Thank you all and [laissez les bons temps rouler] " ah- eeee" sp 745   NOLA

jward

i think your 89' cars will do better on #6 and 26 or 28" curves if you have the room. at any rate, you'll have to space parallel tracks farther apart on curves so that trains with larger cars don't sideswipe other trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA