News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoders' Light Functions

Started by andylvtrains, January 22, 2012, 04:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

Hi:

I would like to install ditch lights and other effects on some of my locos.  When you read that a decoder has 4 or 6 light functions, what does it really mean?  From what I understand it seems that 2 functions are for head/tail lights, and only 2 or 4 are really left for special light effects.

Also, it seems that with ditch lights you need 2 light functions per pair.  So, for instance if you want front and rear ditch lights, you need a 6 light function (6AUX) decoder, 2 for head/tail lights, 2 for front and 2 for rear ditch lights.  A 4AUX would only allow you to have front ditch lights.

Do I understant it right?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom M.

Yes, your understanding is correct. 

Tom

andylvtrains

Tom:

Thank you for you help.  as a follow up, let's say I want to use a 4 light functions only decoder (no motor control) for ditch lights, like TCS FL4:
1) Will the fucntion decoder "know" which direction the engine goes and use the appropriate light set (fwd or bkwd)
2) Can you program ditch the lights so that they automatically "pulse" when you either play the bell or the horn?

Thanks

Tom M.

Andy,

Yes, the 4 functions of the TCS FL4 can be programmed to recognize forward and reverse direction.  Go to the TCS we site and look at the section for manuals.  The FL4 manual shows what CVs need to be set to which values to control this.  It also provides on instructions for getting them to flash in an alterating manner.

Also take a look at the advanced programming features manual.  It provides instructions on how to remap the function control keys.  For example, you can map the FL4s lighting functions to be activated by pressing the bell button.  In essence, pressing bell would activate both the bell and flashing ditch lights.  Turn the bell off, and the flashing will stop.

If things don't work out as you expect on the first try, don't worry.  You can simply reporgram the FL4 to factory settings and start the programming fresh.

Tom