Power Supply for DCC E-Z Command

Started by kpsdjs, February 02, 2012, 03:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpsdjs

Hello Again,
   The E-Z Command Controller comes with a wall power supply that has a 16vAC 1000mA (16vA) OUTPUT. This will easily run 3 to 5 engines (depending on engines used). My question is; Can I replace the wall supply with a 16vAC 2000mA OUTPUT to run more engines? Or will this harm the controller?
   If that wont work, then is a "Booster" my only option? Also does a Booster give it's output based on an input FROM the original power-pack + E-Z Controller "Package"? Or does it replace the original wall supply??
   Perhaps 2 power districts run from 2 E-Z Command units, that operate in tandem??

"The Bachmann" or "Yardmaster" might want to ring-in on this one.

Thanks Always,
Kelly

Doneldon

kp-

The short answer is "no." So is the long answer.

If you need more power you can either use a booster to increase the output of your EZ Command or buy a different system. Boosters are supposed to be interchangable so you don't have to buy the very pricey Bachmann one. However, all boosters are at least somewhat expensive. Consequently, you might want to consider a whole new system. With that, you'll get more than just more power. You'll also get much more versatile programming and possibly the ability to read CVs. You can sell your old DCC on ebay or use it for a kid's layout or assign it to test track service. Whatever you do, good luck.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

Rangerover1944

Quote from: kpsdjs on February 02, 2012, 03:05:38 AM
Hello Again,
   The E-Z Command Controller comes with a wall power supply that has a 16vAC 1000mA (16vA) OUTPUT. This will easily run 3 to 5 engines (depending on engines used). My question is; Can I replace the wall supply with a 16vAC 2000mA OUTPUT to run more engines? Or will this harm the controller?
   If that wont work, then is a "Booster" my only option? Also does a Booster give it's output based on an input FROM the original power-pack + E-Z Controller "Package"? Or does it replace the original wall supply??
   Perhaps 2 power districts run from 2 E-Z Command units, that operate in tandem??

Thanks Always,
Kelly

Kelly here is the best price that I know of for the Bachmann 5 amp booster.
http://www.thefavoritespot.com/p-3343-spectrum-ez-command-control-system-digital-5-amp-power-booster-44910.aspx

kpsdjs

Thanks D & rover,

Well, I was pretty sure a higher current thru the E-Z would not work.

Will the booster mentioned have as tall (volts) square wave as the E-Z alone?

I've heard, VERY recently on this site, that some other systems don't put out as "tall" (Volts) of a square wave as the E-Z. Resulting in slower speed. I don't run at constant high speeds, of course, but don't want a slower system either!

The cv's I can alter on other's sets.

Can you think of any reason why I could not use 2 power districts, with 2 E-Zs used in tandem? They could cross into another district and just carry on, as long as I run the E-Zs in true tandem.

I'm an electronic design engineer, and can't find any "bites" there...but there are some unknowns, until I try it. Like phase, etc.

Engineers like me thrive on unknowns. I think that's what makes me curious.

Thanks,
Kelly

Jerrys HO

Kelly

This is just my thought, I don't know if it can be done or has ever been attempted but from my point of view if I had to buy two ez commands I would rather upgrade to a better system and get more bang for my buck. This will also give me more than just running my loco's and turning my lights on and off. I could then program cv's too.

Jerry

Rangerover1944

Hello Again,

Thanks Always,
Kelly

Bachmann 5 Amp Booster
FEATURES: Intended for indoor use only.
         Provides extra current to the track so an increased number of
           DCC locomotives can run on your HO, N, O, or Large Scale layout.
         Output voltage can be adjusted to meet your scale requirements.
         Can be used with any NMRA/NEM-conformant DCC system.
         Air vents and a fan to ensure proper ventilation and prevent
           overheating.
         SAFETY FEATURES include:
           * Thermal overload protection
           * Opto-isolation (current) interface that consumes 30ma. This
               eliminates any possiblility for hidden ground loops thru
               your power station
           * 7V signal on the DCC bus to prevent the booster from
               accidentally sending power to track when the command station
               stops sending signals
         Green LED indicates that power is on.
         Red LED indicates an overload or short circuit. The Power Booster
           is protected by a thermal circuit breaker which resets when the
           short circuit or overload is corrected.
         Both printed and DVD format instructions.

INCLUDES: (1) E-Z Command® Power Booster
         (1) 5 Amp Power Supply
         (1) E-Z Command® Signal Input Wire
         (1) Universal Signal Input Wire
         (1) Track Output Wire

SPECS:    Power Supply Input:     DC 18V 5A
         Output (Track Voltage): selectable 14V or 18V
         Output Current:         limited to a max. of 5A
                                                                     kr10/4/06

I can run 6 consisted trains with mine, normally run 3 trains at a time,  with sound and I have had no problem for 4 years with it. I'm still using EZ command, but I program my cv's with Digitrax PR3 with the free JMRI soft ware. I have an old desk top computer I'm planning on running my trains with the JMRI software. So I won't need the other brands of DCC throttles.

I kept the wiring in tack from my DC layout , when I converted to DCC which had 4 districts including the yard, so I can's see any reason why you couldn't have 2 districts with 2 seperate controllers, of course you can have that. I think though you may have to keep the 2 districts seperate and I don't think you can cross over using 2 seperate controllers, I know what you're trying to do, I know you can't use 2 controllers in the same district, and at that point , where they cross is what you're trying to do.  You may have to manually place the other train in the district by hand, you can wire the booster to 2 or more districts, I did in 4 districts, but using one throttle, with no problem. Hey it makes it  a lot easier, having a couple of seperate districts  if you develop a short to find it, but I havent had that problem. I knew from experience of the problems I had from previous layouts. One of the most important things I can tell you, when laying track and aligning switch's BE A PERFECTIONIST.  And I wired every piece of track to the buss, that means every 3 feet and sometimes less.

There are many fine DCC systems  on the market, but do some research for a year or so, there are some other boosters from the top DCC makers Digitrax for one but I chose the Bachmann and I personally have no regrets at all.

Here's alink for 2 other boosters Digitrax and NCE, scroll down on the site for the NCE  
http://www.sodigi.com/Boosters.htm

One final note  DO NOT RUN DCC IN ONE DISTRICT AND DC IN ANOTHER WHATEVER YOU DO!

kpsdjs

rangerover... I since a very strong, suggestive, and very cerebral concept that I should, GET THE BOOSTER!.......Welll...I agree!
  The specs. look perfect for the applcation. I'm sure that would run 8 stiff locos.
  Thanks for everyones input.
  I'm still not worried about the CVs.

Kelly

Jim Banner

You cannot have more than one command station connected to the rails at any time.  With two or more command stations issuing digital messages at the same time, the messages would soon be garbled beyond belief.  If you were lucky, none of the decoders would be able to understand any of them.

The outputs of command stations have no fixed frequency, just pulses wider than or narrower than a particular width.  Thus the outputs could be positive or negative at any instant of time.  Whenever the outputs of two command stations in parallel were of opposite polarity, both command stations would see a dead short.  And they would both shut down to protect themselves.  A common over current protection scheme is for the command stations to stay shut down for about 1 second, then reapply their outputs to the rails to see if the short is still present.  If it is, they shut down again within milliseconds.  So each time the two command stations went out of phase, which would be several hundred times per second, they would shut down for a full second.  Not much power would be reaching the rails.

Now if you are familiar with the parts of a DCC system, you will immediately realize that in a combined system, like the E-Z Command, the box actually contains a throttle, a command station, and a light duty booster.  It is the booster parts that would be shut down almost continuously because the command station parts were going out of phase.  You could, theoretically, use the command station portion of one E-Z Command to control the booster portions of two or maybe more E-Z Commands.  This would not increase the number of locomotives you could address but it would increase the number that you could supply sufficient power to. 

As an electronics design engineer,  the first step toward trying this out would be to come up with a schematic diagram of an E-Z Command.  As far as I know, Lenz has never released this information, even to Bachmann.  One difficulty you may have in tracing the circuit to come up with your own schematic is the lack of markings on some of the key parts and the use of only house numbers on others.

I think Doneldon and others have given you good advice - if you want more current, buy a booster.  You are likely to find the output voltage of a booster is a little less than the output voltage of your E-Z Command.  As we are running trains and not slot cars, I see no disadvantage in that.

If you feel adventuresome, consider building some boosters yourself.  There are some good designs on the net, many of them based on motor control IC's that have built in current limiting and/or thermal shutdown.  I would suggest modifying these designs to include optically isolating the inputs if you want to use more than one of them.  At one time, I considered building a number of mini-booster in the 2 to 3 amp range for distributed power around my layout but in the end went with an 8 amp booster and four "electronic circuit breakers" that use the over load protection scheme mentioned above.  While having less total power, the power available in any of the sub districts of the layout is higher.  This works out better if you have multiple trains, each with multi-unit consists, in the same sub district at the same time.  If the total draw of your layout is less than five amps, you can eliminate the breakers and still have your trains fully protected.

Bottom line, your best bet is what others have already suggested - bite the bullet and buy a booster.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Hello Again,

Thanks Always,
Kelly

All you had to do is look at the FAQ page. Take time to read all the documents in the EZ Command page.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand_2010.php?ezpage=4

Rich

kpsdjs

Thank you Jim... I have, per my last post, submitted myself to getting a booster.

The "phase" was in huge doubt, as I also mentioned. Even when conceptualizing in my mind, 2 E-Zs, I figured there would indeed be some unwanted forces. I did however think that, with phase aside, that one can go to another because, "you CAN chose address, set some nominal range on the dial and AFTER that, put my engine on the track"... and it works correctly. As if it just rolled off a diff. track, onto another. Giving creadence to my thought patern. Again phase aside.

I would not even consider reverse engineering anyones products... And NOBODY better reverse engineer any of my products presently on the market!!

Making my own is not as practical as buying one either! It's out there and affordable. I WILL soon be the owner of someone's gleaming new booster!!

Kelly

kpsdjs

Quote from: richg on February 04, 2012, 03:56:01 PM
Hello Again,

Thanks Always,
Kelly

All you had to do is look at the FAQ page. Take time to read all the documents in the EZ Command page.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand_2010.php?ezpage=4

Rich

No Thankyou!,
Humans...more real and MORE info.

K