News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pennsy H9,10

Started by blf, February 11, 2012, 10:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blf

Please Mr. Bachman ( if your as old as I am you will remember dancing to a tune with a title very similar to this. Hope if brings a smile) If you would bring out a Spectrim PRR H9s or H10s 2-8-0 with the same quality as the EM-1 (one of the best engines I ever purchased) you couldn't keep up with the orders. They used them for switching as well as road engines. There are probably more PRR modelers than most other roads combined. That's why sales are so high. Just get the whistle right. One of the roads that I know of, the Western & Allegheny, bought some second hand showing that the short lines also had them. Great short line engine. Bet this post will draw a few pages. Bill

blf

Hi: Understand where your coming from PF. Been there done that, But really, 1950's Zamic and the lead filled material standards, with Pittman outside frame motors sticking into the cab interior, against today's standards? Sound was unthinkable in the price range and quality 10 years ago we enjoy today. The EM-1 and the PRR H class engines were a few of the most requested engines listed on BLI's site until they took it down. The only good thing I can say about that era now is that they did pull. But it required a few or more amps to do it. Bill

Bucksco

There have always been a lot of PRR locos on the market for a simple reason - they sell well. Not sure why but some roads (such as Mopac) just can't drive the numbers to justify a production run.

Woody Elmore

One of the beauties of the old Penn Line/Bowser H-9 was that the boiler was made of a soft metal. I have seen several of these engines where the owner filed off the "shoulders" of the Belpaire firebox. That, plus a new cab, changed the engine completely. A big letdown with the Penn Line engines, and the H-9 in particular, is that they could pull very few cars. I think I got mine up to eight cars.

I do believe the Great Northern had engines with Belpaire fireboxes.

The Bachmann planners have to think about the market before bringing out a locomotive. Yes there are myriad Pennsy fans but how does that translate into sales?

Bucksco

Having spent many years as a model maker I can appreciate scale models and accuracy to a prototype. Having spent many years in the marketing end of the hobby business I also appreciate the fact that a hobby company must be as diverse as possible to survive in a niche market such as model railroading. Bachmann produces a wide variety of products in many scales and many detail levels - that's what makes Bachmann successful.

Doneldon

florey-

The Great Northern also ran locos with Belpaire fireboxes.

-- D

ryeguyisme

pennsy? no thank you, too much of that. Just my opinion.

uncbob

Hell yes I would buy one as soon as it became available

I am sure the Bachmann  K4s didn't have any selling problem

uncbob

I wish they would come out with a PRR Mikado

jward

i want an iron mountain 4-8-0 lettered for pennsy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

uncbob

PRR M1/M1a and 2-10-0 were niche engines and were successful sellers for BLI

Yet there were many more PRR 2-8-0 freight engines than any other kind and were in service till the end of steam

473--H10s-----------586--H9s   alone

beampaul7

Within the last year or so there was a layout article about a Rio Grande layout which was very well done and looked very nice, as I remember.  There was one steamer which was was assembled by the owner and of which he seemed to be inordinately proud with Rio Grande markings.  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  I don"t think I need to tell you which 2-8-0 I'm talking about. Just like chalk screeching across a blackboard.  It totaly ruined the viewing of his railroad for me.                                                                                                                                              paul :o :o :( :'(

richg

Yeah, inquiring minds would like to know?

Rich

beampaul7

So far as I know the Rio Grande NEVER had a loco with a belpaire firebox.  In my opinion  the Pensy"s  locos looked very powerfull, bruteish, and ugly!  Just my opinion.  The H model in question looked so out of place in a Colorado mountain setting that it just totally grossed me out and spoiled the scene.

paul

ryeguyisme

I'm converting my spectrum 2-8-0 to look more like a C-48

and a belpaire on the Rio Grande?!?!? BLASPHEMY

If I ever bought an engine with a belpaire firebox, it would HAVE to be sand down or the whole locomotive would get an entirely new boiler

almost did that to the local clubs spectrum K4 and turn it into a New Haven I-4