News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum New 4-6-0 No Go

Started by Sunshine Express, February 13, 2012, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have just bought a Spectrum 4-6-0 DCC and Sound,and it makes all the sounds,but does not go.The wheels do not turn.Every Bachman and Atlas DCC loco always went straight out of the box first.Programme later to your own setting. I only have a simple Lenz outfit,but all work well. I have put the Spectrum Users Guide into the computer,but a lot  is all over my head. What to do ?
P.S. 2 other brand new Athearn DCC /Sound locos do not work properly  either.
Meanwhile,all my regular DCC Locos are operating normally.All my 10x5 Layout tracks are saddled for better electric flow. Thanks for advice here, Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

the Bach-man

Dear Owen,
Please return your loco foe one that works.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Sunshine Express

Thanks for the prompt service,it has always been good,but the postage is expensive from Australia.
I will have to do it or worry myself even more than I am at present.A down side of being 81 and still reaching for the stars. cheers  Owen
Owen C Robinson

rogertra

If you purchased it locally, return it to the store you purchased it from.

Sunshine Express

Postage from Australia by Air Mail to return it  would be $37.50, a bit much  on top of purchase price and shipping from the U.S.    Bachmann service is good but warranty returns  on heavy items is difficult as shown here.   Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

Bucksco

As stated above - you should return it to the place where it was purchased.

Sunshine Express

Great news for modern (old) man. I put the Spectrum 4-6-0 back on the track,and it ran as it should.Everything worked on command except the headlight.I did not alter any of the default settings ?. It is a great little loco,and I am starting to feel a little better.However the 2 Athearn F7A&B Units are still hopeless ,  I put them in the cupboard until I find a friend at the club to programme them for me.Thanks for the offer Mr.Bachmann to send them back,now not needed.  Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Sunshine Express on February 14, 2012, 11:57:53 PM
Great news for modern (old) man. I put the Spectrum 4-6-0 back on the track,and it ran as it should.Everything worked on command except the headlight.I did not alter any of the default settings ?. It is a great little loco,and I am starting to feel a little better.However the 2 Athearn F7A&B Units are still hopeless ,  I put them in the cupboard until I find a friend at the club to programme them for me.Thanks for the offer Mr.Bachmann to send them back,now not needed.  Owen Robinson

This might sound silly, but if the headlight isn't lighting, are you sure all the plugs between the engine and the tender are seated tightly?

I run straight DC, and the first Spectrum locomotive I bought, a Richmond 4-4-0, ran fine right out of the box, except that the headlight didn't light. It turned out I just had to push a little bit more on the plugs, to get them "all the way in," and then the headlight worked fine.

Sunshine Express

Thanks for the clue.I am always very careful with those small plugs ,and I will check the 4-6-0 as you recommend.
Owen C Robinson

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Sunshine Express on February 15, 2012, 04:37:30 PM
Thanks for the clue.I am always very careful with those small plugs ,and I will check the 4-6-0 as you recommend.

I hear you! Those tiny little plugs and delicate little wires scare the heck out of me!  :D

I hope you get your headlight working.  :)

uncbob

Mine doesn't work either
I'll have to check the plug

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: uncbob on February 16, 2012, 01:34:36 PM
Mine doesn't work either
I'll have to check the plug

Oh, gosh.  :(

I hope you guys can get the problem solved. I'm sure no expert. It's just that with my first Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0, when I gave that plug an extra tiny little push into its socket, the headlight then worked and hasn't given me a problem since.

rogertra

As I model 1958 and at that time most steam ran with the headlight "Off" at that time, I usually don't bother with it, except for diesels.

Until almost the end of steam, the only time steam ran with the headlight "On" was from dusk to dawn and in poor visibility, so the train could be seen approaching.  It was also turned "On" when approaching tunnels and then the headlight was turned "Off" on exiting the tunnel.  Remember, the headlight is there as a warning device, it's not there so the crew can see where they're going.  At night, and when travelling around 30 MPH, by the time they see an obstruction in the headlight, it's too late to stop anyway.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Yeah, but who wants a model with a working headlight that doesn't?  ;)