News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

55 Ton 3 Truck Shay

Started by Bris Biker, February 14, 2012, 06:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bris Biker

Hello I need some help can I run my 3 truck shay with factory dcc and sound on dc I have a Crest 10amp controller part number 55401 with a variable power pack which gives me up to 24 volts the Aristo controller has pulse width control Aristo states it is different to pulse power will it damage the dcc or sound unit if run at around 18 volts or less thanks Greg.

Tony Walsham

It is generally accepted that you do not use PWM (aka PWC) to power DCC equipped locos.
They see PWM as a sort of DCC signal and can get confused and often will lose their programming.
If you are not actually using DCC it is best to run DCC equipped locos on filtered linear DC.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Bris Biker

Aristo Craft states in there manuals that PWC is different I am now confused can you explain the difference they say that PWC provides a continuous voltage to allow full power regards Greg.

Tony Walsham

Quote from: Bris Biker on February 14, 2012, 06:52:24 AM
Aristo Craft states in there manuals that PWC is different I am now confused can you explain the difference they say that PWC provides a continuous voltage to allow full power regards Greg.

PWC is just another name for PWM.
Yes there is a constant voltage applied to the track which is interrupted rapidly to achieve speed control.
DCC decoders see that interrupted voltage and confuse it with a proper DCC signal voltage.
Do not use track voltage PWM (aka PWC) with locos that have DCC decoders.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).