Auto Crossing Gates bounce problem - any solutions?

Started by Rockdweller, February 16, 2012, 02:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockdweller

Bachmann item 44879 Dual action lower and raise as train goes through.

had a search  but couldn't see any posts on this issue.

This is a nice low cost item which intergrates in the EZ track system and provides a little bit of extra action.

It looks great when a single large engine passes through - booms go down, then come up - obviously not as good as a powered boom triggered well before the train reaches it, but for the low price not bad.
however when you have a train pass through you get a bounce effect of the booms as each car travels across the pressure pad and doesn't have enough weight to hold it down before the next car applies pressure.

As this item has been around for awhile I wondered if anyone had found a way of reducing the bounce

The pad requires enough weight that when a 6 shunter goes over it slowly it can actually cause it to loose contact with the rails.

the Bach-man

Dear Rock,
It's working about as well as it can, because it's a mechanical device that works with varied but very light weights to activate it.  It's basically a toy, but many folks still enjoy it.
There are electrically operated units with under-table mechanisms that work perfectly, but they are quite expensive and require permanent installation.
Enjoy your trains!
the Bach-man

Desertdweller

This sounds like a case of "you get what you pay for".

If you don't mind getting a little gate bounce, buy the cheap Bachmann unit and enjoy some action.

If you want smooth, flawless operation, go the big buck route.

I have a crossing on my railroad I am considering buying a couple Bachmann units for (it is a double-track main line crossing over a major street).

As a retired locomotive engineer, I have seen plenty of gated crossings that exhibit a little gate bounce.  Sure, something was a little out of adjustment, but it is hardly unprototypical. 

If bouncy gates result in grade crossing accidents on your model railroad, you have a real problem!

Les